Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 15, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Okra & Companion Plants.

I'm copying and pasting from Worth's thread. "Cheap Eaten". It's a post I made:

A saying I have heard all my life is, "Planting okra in two short rows is better than planting one long row." Then tonight, I read

"Self-pollinating plants, like okra, produce flowers that contain both male and female parts and are fertilized by their own pollen. This means they do not require wind or insects to pollinate properly. Other self-pollinating garden vegetables include lettuce, peas, lima beans and bush and pole beans. Problems occur when insects bring in other types of plant pollen, such as other cultivars of okra, leading to cross-pollination." http://homeguides.sfgate.com/crosspo...den-25779.html

I also read about plants that will grow along with okra (Companion Planting) One surprised me, Black eyed peas.

Okra Basil, cucumbers, melons, black-eyed peas
from http://www.growinganything.com/compa...ng-charts.html

I know from experience that black eyed peas will grow in the high heat like okra can. Black eyed peas do benefit from some shade - okra would provide that shade during the middle of the day. So I understand that part, but okra and black eyed peas attract aphids and ants feeding on those aphids. Another thing is that my black eyed peas attach theirselves to anything they can - much like a morning glory or runner bean plant.

I don't have enough basil planted in seed cells to do much. Cucumbers and melons bring in their own pests including squash bugs, cucumber spotted/striped/banded beetles - they all thrive here.

I need an okra companion plant that aphids and ants cannot stand. I was thinking marigolds. I have somewhere near 100 marigold plants waiting to be planted out. But there is so much conflicting info out there. One site says that marigolds attract aphids - while another says they attract good bugs that eat aphids. HMM... I have watched marigolds being a breeding ground for grasshoppers.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #2
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Here Marigolds attract Spider Mites. I have my row of Okra planted between my Cukes and my peppers.

MikeInCypress
Old May 12, 2017   #3
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Okra's not self-pollinating, and the big flowers are super attractive to bees, it needs to get isolated by up to 1/2 - 1 mile.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Okra's not self-pollinating, and the big flowers are super attractive to bees, it needs to get isolated by up to 1/2 - 1 mile.
I beg to differ it is self pollinating and can cross pollinate from insects.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My okras, after a set back due to disease or burn ( from Neem oil) have recovered and show buds.
Here is a few pictures of my "SISTERS" garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mid May - corn.jpg (119.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mid May - cukes.jpg (149.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mid May - watermelon.jpg (153.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mid May - corn-2.jpg (90.3 KB, 31 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote