Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 22, 2009   #1
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Default wild ones

These are several of the species and strains I'm either working with in various crosses or just growing because they are interesting. From left to right, the wild L. glandalosum, then an early striped strain, then the infamous and beautiful Solanum Sisymbriifolium, and finally one of the L. hirsutum crosses. The first tomato off that cross measured 11.2 on the Brix scale today. I'm hoping to develop additional disease and pest resistance in open pollinated varieties.
It appears these crosses may also have higher levels or different balances of sugars and other soluble solids. As a novice, I'd really appreciate any advice from other folks working along these lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L glandalosum a.JPG (469.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg l. piriforma.JPG (493.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Litchi tomato blossoms A.JPG (381.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg hirsutumX a.JPG (493.3 KB, 91 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009   #2
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

I won't be any help to you in regards to crossing, but I hope you don't mind if I say wow! Those are some beautiful plants! Even the wicked looking thorns are pretty.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #3
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

The thorns aren't a problem picking as the husks pull back completely when the fruit is ripe. It is flavorful and sweet, but not like a tomato. The seeds are numerous and slightly crunchy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lichi Tomato ripe r.JPG (403.3 KB, 43 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote