Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 4, 2006   #1
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

Default PL trait not appearing in supposed AGG cross

I saved seed from what I thought was an Aunt Gerties Gold cross that I grew out last year. The supposed cross was a RL, red-orange tomato that came from my AGG seeds. Well, I have 9 seedlings so far and none of them look PL, all look RL. That means I almost surely didn't have an AGG cross last year, because if I did I should be seeing 1/4 PL, right? I guess the odds are something like 1/5 that I just didn't grow out enough plants, but 4/5 that it was not an AGG cross that I had last year. So its looking like I just had a seed mixup? The only other thing I can think of is the tomato I saved seed from was itself pollinated by a RL, meaning only 1/16(?) would be PL. Thats also pretty unlikely...

Scott
scottfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #2
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: PL trait not appearing in supposed AGG cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
seems to me you are answering your own questions.
I am trying to, but this is my first "genetics" experiment and even though I have read all about it I expect I may be missing something obvious. It sounds like I have it more or less right, which is good. Well, I messed up the 1/16 bit, thanks for the clarification.

One of them coming up now may be a PL.. its looking that way now but it has very small second leaves. I also planted 10 more seeds to get a bigger sample.

Scott
Old March 8, 2006   #3
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

.. we have PL! we have PL! Only one in eleven seedlings but I'll take what I can get. And to think I almost threw all of them out.

Scott
Old March 17, 2006   #4
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly, if the likelihood of seeing a trait is 1/4, as in PL in the F2 of a PL RL cross, you need to grow 11 plants to be 95% certain of seeing the PL. Growing 16 plants improves this to 99%. A likelihood of 1/4 doesn't mean 1 in four plants will be PL. You need to dig into a little statistical analysis to determine the number of plants you need to grow to give you a particular level of certainty.