Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2018   #766
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

I started 4 Karma Pinks on 14th March in a paper towel. Got 100% germination. They moved to a 6 pack on the 21 Mar, and 9 oz cup on the 30th. Space and light are at a premium so I'll wait a while to go to the solo cups. I usually plant out tomatoes in the middle of May.
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #767
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful to see these updates! Wishing everyone some good KARMA
transplanted mine too, will go out to the greenhouse tomorrow

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #768
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I started with 2 seeds in the same cup on February 20th. Both germinated quickly (they were the first to come up out of 23 varieties that were seeded that day). On March 10 they were separated. Both looking vigor. I am in a process of hardening them off.
Hoping that weather will cooperate sooner than later. We are expecting more snow. Can you believe it? I had planted as early as April 20th some years and as late as May 16.
Just loosing my patience. Babies are ready!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #769
MdTNGrdner

I have 6 potted up into cups and they look great; just waiting for the weather to continue hardening off... warm, cold, warm, cooooooold lol

Thanks ladies!
Old April 7, 2018   #770
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Looks like germination is nearly 100% for all. Very good to read. I hope the stupid stupid snow goes away soon. Enough already, lol!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #771
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Yes, for me also the success of germination was 100%, germinate as I always do on a paper napkin, I'm looking forward to the good weather to see how karma pink grows, in my city it has been raining every day for two months, no something similar had happened, the climate change ... I have them in the greenhouse, but they need sun .... karma pink holds up adversity well. regards

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #772
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone. So glad for these wonderful reports. It fills my heart.
Please everyone, just a clarification on the name: all the KARMA lines are in all capital letters. The second name will be usual. This is because they are named for KARen and MArsha. An example would be KARMA Pink.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #773
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed planted 2/2/18

Hi KARen and MArsha,

I've got three KARMA Pinks going, and they're doing pretty good. They need to already be in the ground, but I can't plant out with this crazy cold weather coming and going. And it's not letting up for another couple of weeks. So I'm going to pot them up in a slightly bigger pot tomorrow and wait until I can get them planted.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (399.6 KB, 104 views)
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #774
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pics, Crawler- I may grow mine in a pot- still haven't decided. Karen and Marsha- do these plants sprawl and go vertical, or remain bushy? I guess it depends on sucker removal. Thanks!

Last edited by Spartanburg123; April 9, 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: omitted word
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #775
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks for the pics, Crawler- I may grow mine in a pot- still haven't decided. Karen and Marsha- do these plants sprawl and go vertical, or remain bushy? I guess it depends on sucker removal. Thanks!
Others will chime in, I'm sure. But I've noticed with mine they are slightly more "droopy" than some of my other Potato Leaf plants of the same size. They've been like that from almost the beginning. My 3 KARMA Pinks are the only ones like that, and they've received the same mix and nutrients as all the others. I haven't seen that characteristic mentioned before, so I was thinking it may be environmental. They've been exposed to cold off and on in my greenhouse, but nothing below 42. The wind has been especially bad this Spring. It's always windy this time of year, but we had a few extra windy days in March. It was warm, so they were outside. Maybe that affected them slightly. All three of mine are otherwise healthy and putting on lot's of blooms. They're just a little droopy.

Lee
Old April 9, 2018   #776
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very large droopy potato leaf is normal. They will get tall and full. Pruning cherries is not something I would do or recommend, you will reduce your yield . Prune only for spotty foliage, to clear the stem up to the first cluster, feed them well and let them go.
That photo is just what they will look like.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #777
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That is a really, really nice looking plant.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #778
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Whew! Thanks, Karen. I only had other potato leaf plants to compare it to, so I was worried. Can't wait to get some fruit!!

Lee
Old April 9, 2018   #779
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Look at this beast. Survived sustained 34 degree temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180407_155720.jpg (315.0 KB, 82 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #780
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
That is a really, really nice looking plant.
Thank you! I've got three like that. Can't wait to get them in their "final homes" and then eventually start picking wonderful fruit.