Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Stems/Leaves - When to Fert

I started all my seeds about 3 weeks ago or so . Everything germinated - leaves were green upon initial germination. I've since repotted all of the into their own plugs last Thursday. They have been under lights since day one so none are leggy. Some of them are on their 3rd set of true leaves. However, they are all not green like it when when it sprouted and it it's all purple....

They are in a soil-less, no fert mix (Promix).
I've got some seed starting fertz somewhere in my stash - 12-48-8 .
Is it too early to give these purple *tater plants* a drink of fertz yet.
They literally were just transplanted into plug packs 3 days ago.
Small signs of translant shock as I spy some small leaves that wilted.

I dunno how good or bad all these 'mato plants are all purple.

I've got probably another solid 4 weeks-5 weeks til they go outside.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2018   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I would give them some weak fertilizer. I re-pot my seedlings into potting mix with fertilizer in it when they have at least 2 sets of true leaves (miracle grow). So they get some pretty early. That said, I have kept them in seed starting mix longer with no ill effects, but once they outgrow the little seed starting cups and about 4-5" tall they have problems if not put into a larger cup with potting mix.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2018   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

are they too cold? and if they haven't been fertilized yet they may be getting deficient by now. there is generally nothing much in seed starting mix for fertilizer.
Old March 26, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

It's pretty warm. At least 65 degrees. Warmer when the boiler is on. I have my light setup in the boiler room.
Yes, no ferts in ProMix
Old March 26, 2018   #5
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes can be sensitive to wavelength of LED lights. If fertilizer doesn't help, maybe tweak the COB or add some sun or CFL light?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...593#post690593
Old March 26, 2018   #6
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I was considering ferts 1st . Then maybe turn on the led for Bloom as well. With the bloom led dial on, it definitely amps up the intensity. I have to do more homework on what colors/leds are being turned on it each mode.....

I'm sure regular good old sun will help. Just too dang cold right now. Might try taking 2 under some sun just to observe and hehave. Thank for the link. I came across that.
Old March 27, 2018   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Purple stems/leaves are usual with tomato seedling
I think it has to do with cool temperatures and pkants inability to uptake certain elements. But once planted out an soil warms up they will recover. Some varietires like INGIGOs are genetically purplish. As i look into my seedlings, out of 23 varieties some are healthy green and some purplish, to somebextent
So i see a genetic influence there

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Definitely a temperature issue. I see it all the time with my basement temps hovering in the low to mid 60's until April or so. Once they warm up, they'll green up.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #9
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I think I asked this question years ago. Carolyn says they will grow out of it.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #10
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Cool temperatures prevent tomato plants from absorbing phosphorus no matter how much is in the soil so adding more will not help. As others have said, once the soil is warmer they will turn green as they absorb phosphorus.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #11
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

My boiler room may hover in the high 60's once the heat is off. Currently, the boiler is turning on in the morning/mid-day-evening@ times. A wild guess is the average ambient temperature is at least 70. When the boiler is on, 74-78 is .

So to sum it up, don't worry about the color even though I have a solid 4-5 weeks before I transplant ?

For ferts, should I just continue with the *seedling/plant booster* fert which is high in P, or switch off to plain jane MG or even MG tomato plant food, diluted at 50% ? Won't do any fish emulsion stuff as it's indoors and that stuff....stinks

Last edited by mobiledynamics; March 27, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old March 27, 2018   #12
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Certainly not too early to fertilize with at least half strength. Third set of true leaves, so your plants are plenty old enough.
Old March 27, 2018   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Weak fish fert is what I use at that stage - the purple is no real problem as it passes quickly when the plant grows.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #14
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Thx All for the feedback. Just need to wait for the soil to dry out before I give it it' first fertz. drink. I was not sure about my ~new light~ setup and whether or not this played a role, as these LED's are very foreign/new to me.

See thread here on LED setup

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47122
Old March 28, 2018   #15
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Many people use high P fertilizer for seedlings and when transplanting (and that seems to be the commercial grower recommendation as well). How much that helps, not sure, but I noticed that even what I would call decent temperatures cause purpling in seedlings. You need rather high to keep it away. Some varieties are better with this, Black Plum is amazingly purple free even in cold soil.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote