Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 30, 2018   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Which variety?

Which variety or varieties are having the best fruit set so far this season excluding cherries?

I just got through checking my tomatoes to see how well they are setting fruit in this wonderful spring weather and was surprised by the variety that is way ahead of the others. So much so that I will have to do some heavy culling just to get medium size fruit from the large fruited Limbaugh's Legacy. In just the first two fruit clusters it looks like I will have around 25 set fruit with the first cluster having around 16 or so. That is way too many to get any decent size fruit from so I will have to cull them. The plants are not three feet tall yet.

The next heaviest fruit set are Brandywine Cowlick's and JD's Special C Tex. Usually the one that has the ridiculous amount of fruit early is Pruden's Purple but this year it looks more like a normal amount of fruit set on them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Which variety or varieties are having the best fruit set so far this season excluding cherries?

I just got through checking my tomatoes to see how well they are setting fruit in this wonderful spring weather and was surprised by the variety that is way ahead of the others. So much so that I will have to do some heavy culling just to get medium size fruit from the large fruited Limbaugh's Legacy. In just the first two fruit clusters it looks like I will have around 25 set fruit with the first cluster having around 16 or so. That is way too many to get any decent size fruit from so I will have to cull them. The plants are not three feet tall yet.

The next heaviest fruit set are Brandywine Cowlick's and JD's Special C Tex. Usually the one that has the ridiculous amount of fruit early is Pruden's Purple but this year it looks more like a normal amount of fruit set on them.

Bill
Best fruit set this season?

I haven't even given the seeds to Rob to sow them for this year summer grow out.

Summary?

Those in the south as you are are way ahead of many,for me,in upstate NY,so there you go.

Carolyn
Old April 30, 2018   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the same boat with Carolyn. I could not possibly answer this question yet. This is the most frustrating aspect of participating on this site. There are people enjoying their first fruits and BLT's while for me they are a hope of the future.... Sigh
Old April 30, 2018   #4
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Yup, living downheah does have its advantages...as far as our length of season goes, anyway. I'm not sure I could handle y'alls short growing season....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have tomatoes where there weren't any blooms to make tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #6
edweather
Tomatovillian™

My Rutgers and Indian Stripe are setting fruit like crazy. I'm not culling any though.
Old April 30, 2018   #7
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have tomatoes where there weren't any blooms to make tomatoes.

Worth
What's the explanation, then...?

Jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #8
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Neves Azorean Red and Daniel Burson are the first to set fruit. Daniel Burson is leading the way with 14 fruit set with 10 in one cluster.

How many fruit do you prefer per cluster.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My super hybrid DETs are only producing flowers so far. Cherries are doing what you would expect.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rumor View Post
Neves Azorean Red and Daniel Burson are the first to set fruit. Daniel Burson is leading the way with 14 fruit set with 10 in one cluster.

How many fruit do you prefer per cluster.
I think that with a large variety that no more than three or four to a cluster seems to work so the fruit can reach a decent size. I have had trouble with larger clusters breaking off the stem or making smaller than desirable fruit.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #11
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Over here its Indian Stripe, Black Krim, and Black Altai. Indian Stripe plants have more flowers than any other in the garden. Black Krim has fewer flowers but is setting a higher percent. Averages are about 7 fruit per plant with a high of 11 so far.
Old May 2, 2018   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
What's the explanation, then...?

Jon
It must be aliens.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #13
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It must be your growing conditions because my Limbaugh's Legacy is about average in my garden. Although I haven't watered since transplant and have been relying on the rain and we've been dry for a while.

Not including the regular tomatoes I started earlier posted in my thread, these were all planted in early April. I just went out and counted all the tomatoes to see the progress, the tomatoes are all small from ping pong size down to big enough to see. Here's the number of tomatoes on each plant.

LSU Creole 3, this was the first plant to make tomatoes.
Aunt Ginny's purple 1
Elgin Pink 0
Limbaugh's Legacy 3
Lithium Sunset 2
Red Barn 2
Cherokee Purple Heart 3
Campari X Brad's Black Heart 6
Hippie Zebra 0
Orange slice F-2 0
Orange slice F-3 1
Chips Yellow Cross 0
Cherokee Purple 4
Cherokee Carbon F-2 10
Coeur De Surpriz 0
Porter's Pride 3
Cherokee Tiger 5
Mayo's Delight 1
MegaZac Monster 0
MegaZac 1
Domingo 0
Megadom 0
Wixom Slammer 1
Brandywine OTV 2
Big Red 6
Hundreds & Thousands 20, expected from a cherry
Zluta Kytice 0, seems slow to get going

I'm surprised the Cherokee Carbon F-2 has 10 tomatoes already. I haven't grown it before but I'm looking forward to the flavor if it grows like the F-1's.