Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 17, 2015   #1
splash79
Tomatovillian™

Default Anna Russian seeds slow to germinate?

I started all of my tomato seeds on March 9th and, by the 12th, all but Anna Russian had sprouted by the 12th. By the 14th, I figured that I might have planted a dud (I was trying to be conservative and just planted a single seed), so I popped two more in on the 14th to see and neither of them have germinated.

Should I just be patient or should I know by now if any are going to germinate? If it's a slow germinator, that's fine, but if not, I'd like to see if I can get some to sprout on a paper towel or something.
splash79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #2
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown Anna Russian yet, it's on my list for next year. I had the same issue as you this year with Sabre. I planted 4 seeds and only 1 germinated, and it came up with a seedhead. I decapitated it trying to get the coat off so I had to start over.

The second time around I first soaked 5 seeds overnight in a small bowl of water with a pinch of Miracle Gro. The next day I put them in a cup of potting mix and all 5 germinated.

Some time ago I read a post from Carolyn about soaking stubborn or old seeds overnight with a pinch of Miracle Gro (she calls it blue stuff) and as usual her advice was spot on!

Good luck with your Anna Russian. I might soak my AR seeds next year just as a preventative measure.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't give up on them yet. 8 days is not super late. Do you use heat?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #4
splash79
Tomatovillian™

KarenO, I am using heat, so I'm covered there. I know that 8 days isn't all that long, but was wondering if this particular variety was slow, since the rest of my seeds are about an 1-1.5 inches tall.

Irv, if these don't poke there heads up in the next couple of days, I'll definitely try soaking them. Thanks for the tip!
Old March 17, 2015   #5
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

My stats from last year - 9 days for the 1st to emerge, on a heat pad.

[HTML]
Name Year Source Days to Germ
Anna Russian 2014 Pinetree Garden 9
[/HTML]
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I say have patience. I think you were lucky with your other seed germinating so fast. I sowed Anna Russian. I sowed 9 seeds. It was 5 days and I one seed come up and two days later had two more. So, so far I had 3 out of 9 and I expect the others will come along when they feel like it. Seems like they always do.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've sowed Anna Russian seeds many many times with no problems at all, but then I was using my own saved seeds so I knew the seed age.

And yes, I've posted here many times what I do when trying to wake up OLD seeds, but if you bought the seeds commercially I wouldn't think that they were that old.

Carolyn
Old March 20, 2015   #8
True Timbers
Tomatovillian™

I grow Anna Russian, from my saved seed. I feel it has slow and poor germ for me. Weak and wispy plants. (Worth the effort IMO)
True Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #9
splash79
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to update this to say that I still don't have germination. I finally decided to gently poke around to see if anything was happening and I could only find one seed. I'm giving it one more chance and doing the paper towel/plastic bag method to see I can get any germination. If that doesn't work, I found a local plant source, so I'll buy from them. I'm thinking I might have gotten a bad batch, which is disappointing, but I can understand it happening.
Old March 26, 2015   #10
splash79
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to do another update. The day after I posted, one of the initial seeds finally popped up and was about an 1/8 of an inch tall, but there has been no further growth and there were no leaves, just the stem.

Also, the day I posted, I started two seeds with the paper towel/plastic bag method and both started to sprout after a couple of days. I transplanted one of those seeds the day before yesterday, is about 5. an inch tall and has its initial leaves. I planted the second sprouted seed today, so hopefully one of the two will make it. I guess the first batch just wasn't happy with the soil or something.
Old April 20, 2015   #11
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

My Koralik cherry tomato seeds usually sprout more slowly than the other tomatoes. So after I take the cover off the tray, I usually wind up covering that container with a piece of index card or file folder with shipping tape on one side. It helps keep the heat and humidity in, and they do grow. I also put a few more seeds of that variety.

Sounds like the paper towel method worked, though!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote