Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 17, 2014   #316
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I am so sorry to learn of your Grandmothers passing. I hope you find comfort in knowing she is in heaven. May The Good Lord Bless you during this sorrowful time.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #317
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

My sympathies to you, and may your grandma rest in peace.
Old June 17, 2014   #318
Geezer
Tomatovillian™

Remy,

You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers. Remember to take care of yourself at this time.

Evil Ed and Kelly (Girl Genius)
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #319
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Thank You, Everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I just read your grandmothers obit that she wrote and was going to ask the same question about the Sample name.

Running late here this AM since Freda was here trying to get my few tomato plants in the containers, complaining about the large peat pots that Rob used to raise them in,well, you know how that goes.

Freda and I bump heads a lot but here it is the middle of June and plants just being set out and four were too small to set out so I told her to just put them in oneof my 8 inch permanest pans and set them on the table in the backroom, where I could water them and they get AM light.

I got diverted here but Remy, when I saw that your grandmother got marriedin 1940 and I was born in 1939, it put a different perspective on where I'm at today. And I really liked the custom obit notice with the pies at the top. I hadn't seen that before.

Maybe I should think ahead and have some tomatoes at the top of my obit to be.

Carolyn
I hope you are around a lot longer, but I better see tomatoes when that day comes.
I'm also glad you got Freda too even though you bump heads.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014   #320
Starla
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Hi All,
I feel sort of odd doing it, but others have done it so I might at well announce that I finally have all my tomato seeds tested and up for sale.
A-K http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=65
L-Z http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=4260
Thanks for looking!
Remy
Order on it's way to you for next year's seeds! I'm glad you opted to post them for sale. Varieties in there I have not seen and am anxious to try next year. Thanks. Star
Starla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #321
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I ate my first Santa Maria today. Best tasting super meaty tomato I have ever eaten, better than most slicers!!!! Incredible, edible Santa Maria!! Me licking my lips!!!!
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #322
remy

Excellent!! So happy to hear that. I'm alway a bit worried when I rave about a tomato that others might not be as enthused. Are you getting a lot of fruit too I hope. It is very productive for me here, but you never know in other places.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old July 28, 2014   #323
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Not huge on production, but garden conditions are far from optimal. I planted clover as a living mulch in between rows and the clover is competing heavily for nutrients. I should have had more fertilizer form the beginning to support the biomass. First year for doing this, so its a learning process. Moving toward a permaculture, natural and organically self sustaining style of gardening. Many varieties get over hyped, but not Santa Maria, it is truly a great one on flavor. It may need to be mixed with less tasty pastes for the best sauce. I haven't cooked one down yet, but the flavor should really intensify as water is cooked of. Will make a great one for drying and adding to any cooked dish. I love it!!! I'll let you know as the season progresses how the flavor stands up. First paste to ripen out of a dozen or so pastes I am growing. Only started 2 plants, next year will start many. I am ecstatic over this one!!!!

Adding: Checked this morning, total of about 20 tomatoes set on each plant. Plants are only 4 ft tall as are all my varities under same conditions. Should be knocking on 6 ft like the indeterminants I have in new raised beds under better conditions. So that is pretty good production. Raised beds have 2-3 times the tomatoes set as living mulch gardens for all varieties. I have half a dozen different gardens, and the raised beds are 80% filled with compost, what a difference that makes on health and vigor of plants.

Last edited by kenny_j; July 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #324
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I too purchased seeds from you and am pleased and surprised by the flavor or Santa Maria. Production has been no worse than any other plants (foliage diseases took hold before I could get on a consistent spraying schedule), but it's one of the few plants that's holding it's own.

The first fully ripe one was sampled, seeds were saved, and it went into the food mill. I now have two more -- one fully ripe and one blushing. However, where the first fruit was a typical red plum, the second ripe one is showing very distinctive gold stripes and a bit of gold "speckling" throughout the red portions. A picture of it is below, but I don't know if the striping shows well enough.

The one that's blushing also has early signs of striping and that almost iridescent gold coloring I see on Speckled Roman tomatoes.

Is this typical for Santa Maria?

Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #325
remy

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't get a notification or missed it. Anyhow, I'm not sure. This was only grown by my friend and his wife, the father, and the man who came from Italy, oh and of course the man may have shared it with others. So the expressions that may come out of it are unknown. I honestly didn't look for anything or notice anything last year. I'll be watching now though.
Glad you like it!
Remy

Old August 12, 2014   #326
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy, I placed an order with you that contained several packages of your heirloom tomato mixes. Would it be correct to assume that the mixes should contain the varieties you have listed on your website for 2014 or could they contain other varieties that you did not sell this year? Thought it would be fun to grow some mystery plants and then try to figure out what they were.

Thanks for the fast service and the bonus Cherokee Green!

Glenn

Last edited by COMPOSTER; August 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: punctuation
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2014   #327
remy

They can be from any saved seeds so it can be ones listed, but I also save seeds from the tomato party so those could be in there too. Anything from I'm not sure what is it mishaps to stray seeds that land on the table. Since most of the tomatoes I grow are bigger, chances are they will mostly be big ones, but a few cherries could appear too. It really is a who knows kind of mix.
Remy

Old August 12, 2014   #328
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
They can be from any saved seeds so it can be ones listed, but I also save seeds from the tomato party so those could be in there too. Anything from I'm not sure what is it mishaps to stray seeds that land on the table. Since most of the tomatoes I grow are bigger, chances are they will mostly be big ones, but a few cherries could appear too. It really is a who knows kind of mix.
Remy
Very interesting and even more mysterious.

Thanks for adding even more excitement to my gardening?

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2014   #329
remy

Hi All, It is that time of year again. The tomato pages have been updated for 2015.
If you find errors, please let me know. I've been staring at the computer screen for too long.
Tomatoes A-K.
http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=91
Tomatoes L-Z
http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=4260

Thank you!
Remy

Old November 30, 2014   #330
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Fast service, great selection and nice prices
Thanks, Remy.
Dick in South Dakota