Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 27, 2014   #16
Hermitian
BANNED

Sprouting today:
Sweet peppers - Corno Verde & Yellow, Better Bell II, Socrates.
Chili peppers - Purple Serrano, Guajillo, Hungarian Wax, Sahuaro.
Old February 27, 2014   #17
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Those labels are leftover from my nursery operation that ended 2 years ago. They're actually designed for 4-inch pots and are almost too wide for the plug trays! I also had a set of hanging tags for fruit trees.

Richard, may I ask who supplied your tags? I tried to zoom in and read the small print at the bottom of the tag, but couldn't quite read it. They are very nice, and we are looking for more personalized tags for our little nursery operation.

Thanks, Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #18
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Richard, may I ask who supplied your tags? I tried to zoom in and read the small print at the bottom of the tag, but couldn't quite read it. They are very nice, and we are looking for more personalized tags for our little nursery operation.

Thanks, Lyn
The tag appears to read John Henry Portrait Tag. I'm sure Richard can confirm if that's it or not.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #19
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
The tag appears to read John Henry Portrait Tag. I'm sure Richard can confirm if that's it or not.

Pappi
That's correct. In the spring time, expect a couple months between order time and delivery time, otherwise it's about a month. In my experience, John Henry has a lot of great options and the prices are very reasonable.
Old February 27, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sprouting today:
Quote:
Sweet peppers - Corno Verde & Yellow, Better Bell II, Socrates.
Chili peppers - Purple Serrano, Guajillo, Hungarian Wax, Sahuaro.
I have a few sprouts myself.
Aleppo, Black Pearl, Brazilian Starfish, Guajillo, Malagueta, NuMex Heritage 6-4, Peppadew, and Venezuelan Tiger. A few others maybe if they come up? I want to grow some ornamentals to overwinter. More like house plants!
See what works, what doesn't so a lot of ornamentals to see what is easy, what is hard. A couple mild chili's and a sweet one or two also. And some hot ones for fun. I'll probably overwinter any hot types too.
I need to figure out what works for me, what i like best, it's going to be a few years of experimenting.
I like to cook, so I need all types of peppers. fresh, dried, powdered, pickled, need them all.

Last edited by drew51; February 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #21
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Richard and Pappi!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #22
comamma
Tomatovillian™

Awesome set up! We usually start upstairs in our extra room, but our eldest son moved out and we now have two more extra rooms downstairs. I have some sprouts that need light so my project for tomorrow is too move the seed starting stuff downstairs.
comamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #23
Hermitian
BANNED

All of the vegie seeds are now up! Now begins the long wait on the Rubus probus seeds.
Old March 2, 2014   #24
Hermitian
BANNED

So far I've been doping the water with 1/4 tsp/gallon of Grow More "Sea Grow" 16-16-16 plus 1/4 tsp/gallon of Grow More Jump Start (I sell these products and have inventory to spare!). This week many of the seedlings are showing true leaves, so I've switched to Grow More Fruit Fuel 16-8-24 at the same dosage.
Old March 3, 2014   #25
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Richard, I was looking over the ingredients in the Grow More "Sea Grow" 16-16-16, it looks like a very interesting hybrid fert, a lot of organic components for sure. It says it has 10% of the N as Organo-protein, I assume the other 6% is inorganic. I've seen other organic N fertilizers advertised as Amino Acid Nitrogen or Protein Nitrogen. Is there some difference between them or are they just different names for the same thing?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #26
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Richard, I was looking over the ingredients in the Grow More "Sea Grow" 16-16-16, it looks like a very interesting hybrid fert, a lot of organic components for sure. It says it has 10% of the N as Organo-protein, I assume the other 6% is inorganic. I've seen other organic N fertilizers advertised as Amino Acid Nitrogen or Protein Nitrogen. Is there some difference between them or are they just different names for the same thing?
Ray, you are right on spot calling this a hybrid product.
The SeaGrow 16-16-16 is 10% Nitrogen from Blood Meal and the remaining Nitrogen from Phosphate, Potassium, and Urea (not sewage) salts. Ok, there is also a minor amount of Nitrogen from the Amino Acid chelates of micronutrients in the product. What Grow More is trying to do with this product is provide a general "organic" basis but also bring the nutrient levels up to crop-level performance. In particular, it contains about 1% seaweed extract and 0.5% Yucca extract. I think it is great for seed starting and for general maintenance of ornamental plants. Beyond that, I will be more specific in my fertilizer recommendations for homeowner plants.

Last edited by Hermitian; March 3, 2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: the the
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #27
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ray, you are right on spot calling this a hybrid product.
The SeaGrow 16-16-16 is 10% Nitrogen from Blood Meal and the remaining Nitrogen from Phosphate, Potassium, and Urea (not sewage) salts. Ok, there is also a minor amount of Nitrogen from the Amino Acid chelates of micronutrients in the product. What Grow More is trying to do with this product is provide a general "organic" basis but also bring the nutrient levels up to crop-level performance. In particular, it contains about 1% seaweed extract and 0.5% Yucca extract. I think it is great for seed starting and for general maintenance of ornamental plants. Beyond that, I will be more specific in my fertilizer recommendations for homeowner plants.
OK, guess my eyes were real tired last night, I missed the Blood Meal part. So most of the organic N is derived from the Blood Meal proteins, got it now.
Is this a totally soluble fert? Going back to the N again, there are raw organic sources of organic N from animal and plant sources and then there are soluble extracts of proteins and amino acids from the same that are more readily available.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #28
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
... Is this a totally soluble fert? ...
Yes.
Old March 4, 2014   #29
falconblack
Tomatovillian™

Wow nice setup is that 16-8-24 good for my hot peppers now that they all have the 2 top leaves?
falconblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #30
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconblack View Post
Wow nice setup is that 16-8-24 good for my hot peppers now that they all have the 2 top leaves?
Sure, I'm currently using it on mine at 1/4 teaspoon/gallon each watering, but will increase to 1 tablespoon/gallon/month when they are big enough for 5 gallon containers or in my raised beds. Currently it's a race to see if I can build the raised beds before the plants are ready!

Edit: how far north are you in Canada? If you have a short summer, I'd recommend 15-20-25 instead.

Last edited by Hermitian; March 4, 2014 at 09:16 PM.
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote