Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 27, 2013   #1
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default About "Free Manure"

I was not aware that the issues surrounding manure went far beyond antibiotic contamination. This link highlights an emerging problem surrounding what happens to the manure of horses that consume hay that has been treated with a herbicide called aminopyralid, and how this manure can ruin your soil for growing food for years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...od.agriculture

In organic circles we used to recommend getting free-by garden supplements like manure as a way to enhance soil fertility. This article and the discussion currently going on in general about how people's tomatoes got destroyed after using tainted manure highlights how cautious we must now be these days about what we use in our gardens.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I get so angry reading this.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I get so angry reading this.
Me too. I just emailed the White House about it to complain, not that that will probably do anything, but I felt like I had to do something other than post on a forum, kwim?

Future generation are going to look back on our time and say "how could they have been so ignorant and so short sighted?"

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Me too. I just emailed the White House about it to complain, not that that will probably do anything, but I felt like I had to do something other than post on a forum, kwim?

Future generation are going to look back on our time and say "how could they have been so ignorant and so short sighted?"

Stacy
More likely stupid and evil

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When it comes to many things past generations have been short sighted and ignorant.
This is the reason a horse friend of mine can't give me her manure.
I have told her a thousand times I don't want it.
I am not totally organic but I control what goes in my garden not someone else.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #6
TexasAngel
Tomatovillian™

Is anyone aware of a woman named Sandra Steingraber? She speaks out against "Toxic Tresspass", the concept that we ingest all these chemicals without prior knowledge in most cases (Teflon is an example). She came up on my radar a few months back and I see her schedule does not include any stops in Texas.

She's amazing, IMO.
TexasAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #7
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
When it comes to many things past generations have been short sighted and ignorant.
This is the reason a horse friend of mine can't give me her manure.
I have told her a thousand times I don't want it.
I am not totally organic but I control what goes in my garden not someone else.
Worth
I love using manure. I also totally beilieve in having control of what goes in my garden. Therfore, just to be able to use manure I have to go through the process of making a compost pile and then after the pile is cured testing the compost for 5-6 weeks before I know if I can even introduce the composted manure to my vegetable garden. That is just not right in my opinion.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Our local feedlot composts it's manure and packages it under various labels as something that is supposedly good for gardens. I put some in one of my small garden beds, and the plants leaves yellowed and they grew poorly. My brother put some on his whole garden. It ruined his garden.

I have always avoided manure due to the problem with weed seeds. I grow enough of my own without importing other people's weed seed. Now I avoid it due to concerns about antibiotic and pesticide residues in the feed and bedding.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #9
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i stopped adding manure the season before last because i was worried about contamination i guess it wasn't just over worrying. in my area virtually all farming or hobby gardening is done with synthetics. this will be my first season working with soil i have been growing everything in haybales the past couple years but i worry what is put on that before it grows. i always picked the lowest grade of hay with the most different looking grasses and saplings in it figuring that the grower wouldn't spend extra money on ferts and herbicides to produce cheap hay as opposed to wheat straw

edit: now that i think about it i bet city/town compost sites that accept grass clippings could be contaminated as well
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
i stopped adding manure the season before last because i was worried about contamination i guess it wasn't just over worrying. in my area virtually all farming or hobby gardening is done with synthetics. this will be my first season working with soil i have been growing everything in haybales the past couple years but i worry what is put on that before it grows. i always picked the lowest grade of hay with the most different looking grasses and saplings in it figuring that the grower wouldn't spend extra money on ferts and herbicides to produce cheap hay as opposed to wheat straw

edit: now that i think about it i bet city/town compost sites that accept grass clippings could be contaminated as well
They are contaminated, it is ruining the watershed in Austin in some areas.

All of the stuff is running off of peoples yards and into the water that feed Barton Creek springs.

The city makes Dillo dirt from Bio Waste and lawn waste.
Bio Waste is a fancy term for sewage sludge.
So old Fred goes out and sprays his yard with kill all then piles it up for collection so it will eventually end up in my garden, NOT.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #11
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Yes I used to get city compost from Joplin. There was something on the news several years ago about a yard service using a persistent herbicide and that the city compost was no longer usable. I think they banned the dumping of grass clippings from people using the herbicide, but I haven't got any compost from there since. Since the tornado I am also afraid of other things that could be in the grass clippings. You can't trust hay or straw here unless it is alfalfa because people spray thistles. Alfalfa is too expensive for me. Hay for horses is more likely to be sprayed because horses are sensitive to some weeds. I think fall leaves are the safest free material still available.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #12
MB3MB3
Tomatovillian™

I first ran across the issue in an article in... Mother Earth News iirc?
yeah, here we go here is the online version
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...en-threat.aspx
back from 2008.
thsi stuff is scary

all the more reason to not support Dow, along with Monsanto, Bayer AG, Scotts/ MG, and any other evil company (Nestle comes to mind).

here is an updated article which I just found, too:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...mgz11zrog.aspx

there was also some more personal, first hand account in one of these magazines where the writer tells you of their own personal devastation, a story that is becoming more widespread, especially given the fact these things are so persistent, live in soil for so many years.

Last edited by MB3MB3; March 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
MB3MB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #13
debles
Tomatovillian™

my post on this thread was removed????
IMO, it wasn't political, angry or religious.
Probably need to spend less time here and more time focused on work and getting ready to garden.
debles is offline   Reply With Quote