Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old March 30, 2007   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default Long Purple - 1850's Heirloom

According to the Harts seed co. packet, it dates back to the 1850's in America. Is anyone familiar with this variety? They are supposed to be 10" x 2" when mature.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

I am told it's a good seller here in north Arkansas by the seed shop lady... (I just started working for her this year.)
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Check the blurb at Baker Creek too. I think theirs gives a similar date. I've heard conflicting reports about the flavor of this variety, but mostly that it's mild with good flavor. Try it and see!
Old March 31, 2007   #4
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I'd thought I still had a couple seeds of Rosa Bianca, but I didn't. So I searched every seed rack for SOME kind of white eggplant, which I'd prefer, but to no avail. So this year its Dusky Hybrid and Long Purple.
Old March 31, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater, I have seed for two white eggplant varieties if you'd like some. One is White Beauty, which is the traditional Italian shape, and Chinese Long Sword, the long skinny type. Let me know if you want me to send some. I have not tasted either one yet. I'm growing White Beauty this year.
Old August 15, 2007   #6
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Michele, thanks for the offer you made, it was a little late to start seeds by the time I would have gotten them. How did White Beauty turn out for you?

Long Purple has been a total bust. I have 3 flowers and no fruit. Dusky just put out a couple fruit last week that are a couple inches long. So they will probably be it for this seasons harvest. It has been very cool, and we only had 2 weeks of summer - the last 2 weeks of July.

Summer officially ended today, the beginning of the county fair. Its been going on for 150 years, and the local lore is that the opening of the fair always coincides with the end of summer. A cold front came through last night, and the forecast through the weekend is mid-sixties for highs, mid-forties for lows. That's fall weather for sure.
Old August 15, 2007   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bark-I am in Phoenix and the hight today was 110 degree F!
Old August 15, 2007   #8
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I wish summer would end...After the hottest July on record, we are still having daytimes highs in the mid 90's...At least the lows are in the 50's now...I think we were over 100 23 days or something crazy like that...
If you need eggplant seed for next year I have 2 nice short season varieties that I think will perform in almost any conditions...Italian White and Morden Midget....Even in bad years Ital. White is early and this year the eggplant and okra are loving the heat...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater, White Beauty ended up being my favorite eggplant this season. It's been hotter than the hinges of hell here all summer, and very dry. WB did great. Very productive with mild flavor. I think the skin on white eggplant is a little thicker than darker colored varieties but I peel my eggplant so that's no big deal to me.
Old August 26, 2007   #10
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeanne, that's good to know about Italian White, as I like white eggplant much more than purple.

Still no fruit on Long Purple, but a flower is open. And my 2 Dusky's are growing quickly, about 4" long now, and has been joined by a third. So I should get a couple trays of eggplant parm this year after all.

Sorry to hear about the horrible heat. That is why I moved here from South Florida, I couldn't take the heat anymore.It hit 90 here yesterday before the nasty thunderstorms came, and it was miserable.