Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 10, 2006   #16
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I will be placing an order today with Baker Creek for Poona Kheera! Very unique and anxious to see its disease resistence. I am going to drop Boothby's and Tendergreen for this year and try two other new varities...maybe an Asian variety and then one local slicer.

Decisions!
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #17
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Poona Kheera? Glenn doesn't give it much of a sales pitch, unfortunately, so I was going to give it a pass for one he does (a rarity for him!) and one I've liked in the past, Uzbekski.

Any comments on Uzbekski vs Poona Kheena? Or on Mirella, one he particularly 'raves' about?

TIA,
Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #18
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #19
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

What's Boothby's Blonde like? We got that one as a freebie and our 6 year old wants to grow it on his teepee this year. It looks like it will withstand growing up a structure like that. I assume you just tie it as it grows until it's strong enough to wind around on its own with its tendrils?
Old March 11, 2006   #20
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Mischka, I went to Johnny's to get some of the Poona Kheeras by there was a 'crop failure.' Will check again next year.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2006   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Earl, Sandhill also sells Poona Kheera and if I looked hard enough I might be able to find some 2-3 year old seeds here which should still be good. Your choice.

Jennifer, I haven't grown the other varieties you mentioned.

Julianna, I haven't grown the Boothby's Blonde either.

Since moving to my new place in 1999 I've cut way back on most all vine crops and just two hills of my fave Asian or Armenian cukes are plenty for me each summer since my cat kids don't like cukes.
Old March 11, 2006   #22
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, sure a few seeds would be great. No hurry as I won't need them until a month or so. Thanks.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #23
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Sorellina:

Boothby's Blonde was a very good cuke in my opinion...very good flavor and one that I did not have to skin. I grew mine on a trellis...and yes I had to tie the fist few tendrils down till they caught on. I picked the fruit when they were small...around 4"--I found that the larger ones developed a pretty large seed cavity. Some of the fruit were a very pale yellow...some came out a dark yellow.
Old June 6, 2006   #24
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would bring this thread up again to give a report on my cukes. I ended up with four varities: Poona Keera, Marketmore 76, Boothby's Blond and Burpee's Hybrid.

Boothby's is in first place...did not seem to dislike a cooler spell we had after planting...growing up the trellis now--about 2.5' tall--and just starting to show fruit. Marketmore 76 in second...not too far behind...with fruit. Burpee and Poona Keera both starting now...just about 12" tall and will be attaching to trellis soon.

I am looking forward to not buying small expensive cukes at the store...that have little flavor
Old June 6, 2006   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Adenn
Good going!

Mine are doing great too, it’s a shame that cucumbers have gone the way of the store bought tomato.
I was in a hurry and hoed up a mound around an old mesquite tree in the front yard and let them go.

You made some good choices and I don’t think you will be sorry.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #26
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

For some reason or the other- I cannot grow cucumbers for the life of me!!.

Some year I get them to grow ok but most of the time zilch.

I start off with good germination, leading to lovely big healthy looking plants, dozens of varieties I have tried- but as soon as I plant them in the soil or compost they collapse and die within a few days, and I just cant get to the bottom of the reason, or they grow for a while until about three feet high and then collapse and die.

And yet- tomatoes I can grow to perfection, ??? so why not cucumbers, I have even tried them on high nitrogen feed which is supposed to make them go,but-zilch, what am I doing wrong .
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Vine borers?

Look close to the start of the vine, you should see where the grubs crawled in and start eating away on the inside of the vine, they leave a little sawdust pile where they go in
A wasp like critter lays its eggs around the base of the plant and there you go.
The vine will collapse over night I hate the things!!!!

Worth
Old June 8, 2006   #28
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth1, you might well have solved a problem I have being trying to fix for several years , do you spray them with anything in particular -if so at what stage of growth ??.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I really don’t know what to tell you, I do know that Bill P posted a picture of him stabbing one of the wasp like critters on the vegetable forum at another site last year.
By the time I knew I had them it was too late, as is the case most of the time.
Look vine borers on the web or in a book they should tell you what to do to prevent them.
That is IF it’s what you have in the UK.
Sorry, not at home now to look in my organic pest control book, and wont be for 2 weeks.

Best of luck Worth
Old June 8, 2006   #30
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Okay, now I am really confused. I live in NorCal and didn't plant my cukes until about a week ago. I noticed that some of you live in much colder parts of the country and already have established plants. Did I plant mine too late?

The varieties that I am trying are Armenian, Lemon, Greek, White Miniture and Jelly Melon. Next year, I definitely want to try Poona Keera. I wonder if I still have time to start them for this year.

By the way, can anyone suggest a good "pan" type squash? I absolutely love these; they are my fav. I don't know how I could have forgot to plant them. So far, I have very well established Ronde de Nice, Costata Romanesco, and Cocozelle. I have already eaten a few of the cocozelle. All three varieties are loaded with fruit (veggy?).
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote