Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old May 7, 2008   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default 2008 - CHOPTAG TASTE FEST

I know the below info is different that what was discussed at the Plant Swap but the park was not available for the date we discussed. Soooooooo.

The 2008 CHOPTAG Taste Fest will be held on Sunday, August the 17th. It will be held at Paxton-Ramsey Park on the East side of Cincinnati, Ohio from 1 until 5pm.

http://www.miamitwp.org/recreation/parks/paxton/paxton.htm

This is the same site as last year and the same site where we held our Plant Swap on May 4th of his year.

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.

While it is our intention for everyone to share their tomato harvest, it’s OK if you don’t have any tomatoes to bring . You are still welcome. Most folks bring some type of food other than tomatoes to share also, but that is not a requirement either.

Our only real requirement is you have of love of tomatoes and want to share some fun with other tomato lovers. So mark your calendars and plan to join us for a great afternoon.

Check out the CHOPTAG web site for some pictures of past events.

http://www.ih.k12.oh.us/estech/mark/garden/choptag.htm
Old July 26, 2008   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Does the fact that no one has posted in this thread mean on one is coming to the CHOPTAG 2008 Taste Fest?

I’m sitting here in Asheville, NC getting ready to leave for Tomatopalooza and thought I’d try to spark a little interest in the CHOPTAG event. While I’m sure T’Palooza will have more people, CHOPTAG can’t be beat for friendliness and good tomatoes.

So let’s start posting here if you plan to come to the Taste Fest and maybe we can generate enough interest to make this year’s event the biggest and best ever.
Old July 26, 2008   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Jerry,

I'm sure you'll have a great event as usual. Hard to beat a day of sitting around
talking maters with good people and good food. We had a wonderful time when
we visited in 05!

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old July 26, 2008   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to tomatoville and have been looking forward to coming and tasting some new varieties. I don't know how many tomatoes I'll be able to share, since they just do not want to ripen this year...but I can bring plenty of other food to share. I can already taste the tomatoes!
Old July 26, 2008   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

Welcome. It will be great to have you a the Taste Fest.
Old July 27, 2008   #6
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG Tomato Tasting

Jerry, I plan to be there as usual and have recruited several new folks who plan to attend. Hope you have/had a great time at TomatoPalooza! Let us know what your favorites were!
Enjoy your trip and travel safely!
Gary
Old July 27, 2008   #7
hunter
Tomatovillian™

I'll be there, too!
Old July 28, 2008   #8
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

I was looking forward to it, but now I am not sure.

Taking my son (the youngest) off to college that weekend
and I am not sure we will be back.

Of course after listening to his mother cry about losing her little boy you all might find me lying a picnic table at the park when you arrive.

Duane
Old July 29, 2008   #9
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

I will be there! With some guests...maybe a kid or two and a tremendous appetite...Still haven't had a tomato yet..might be a good sign..everything will ripen that week!

Ray
Old August 2, 2008   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Me and Kathy will be there. May not have many types this year due some late planting [nearly half my plants] due my worn out bones, weather and weeds and etc.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jerry, I read on the T-polooza forum that most of their fruit had dismal taste results. [Hope you and Deborah had a great time anyway] I hope CHOPTAG don't experience the same thing. Fruit off the two plants of mine that are producing so far taste fine.

Are we to bring only snack type food because we don't want to fill up on gourmet stuff and not taste tomatoes? :-) Also, what about having a table set aside for peppers?
Old August 2, 2008   #11
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I'm fine with snack type food. I'll being a loaf of good old White Bread and some Mayo for those that want a samich.

If you have peppers please bring some. I'll bring some of mine.
Old August 5, 2008   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Is it okay if I bring 4 or 5 fellow materheads with me? I was at a meeting today and mentioned I was going, and several offered to come with me. Before I send them the info, I wanted to check to make sure it's okay to bring people. They all love tomatoes and grow several varieties. In fact, at today's meeting, I got to taste some new (to me) tomatoes. They were very good! I've picked 2 Aunt Ruby's German Green so far and I should have 3 or 4 varieties ripe by then.
I'm having some issues with my peppers rotting. If I have any decent ones, I'll bring those too. And a snacky type food to share. Now am I forgetting anything?
Old August 6, 2008   #13
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun. Bring as many folks as you can.
Old August 10, 2008   #14
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default Directions added

If you are coming from the North, Down I-75 or I-71 you’ll want to take I275 East to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Using the CENTER lane turn LEFT off the exit. This will put you in the right hand lane on Wards Corner Rd. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

If you’re coming from the South up I-71/75 take I-275 North to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

For those coming from Indiana on I74 use I-275 through Kentucky continuing to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.
Old August 11, 2008   #15
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Oh I am going to miss this one.I have some big ones that may be ripe by sunday.I'll just have to taste them here. Just came off vacation. My garden is a mess. Lots of weeds . I have to get out my chart to see where what tomatoes are. I have picked alot and made them in to sauces for freezing.Will be thinking of you. Susan