Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 14, 2016   #1
Abruzzo
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloom leaves starting to turn and curl

Hey All,

I planted my heirloom garden 3 weeks ago into a drip irrigated 16'x6'x12" raised bed of 50/50 compost/loam, amended with azomite and happy frog vegetable, and my leaves are starting to curl up and turn over on a few different plants.
I fertilize weekly with a mix of Fox Farm's 6-4-4 grow big and Neptune's 2-3-1 fish/seaweed mix. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the potential causes..

Mrs. Maxwell's Italian with the curled/turned leaves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (719.3 KB, 125 views)
Abruzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #2
Abruzzo
Tomatovillian™

And here is a picture of the San Marzano Redorta. The leaves on the top are starting to show purple veins as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (659.1 KB, 121 views)
Old June 15, 2016   #3
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Is wind damage a possibility?

Here's an interesting link:http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...st-or-Curl.pdf

It's titled, "What Makes Tomato Leaves Twist and Curl."

Hope this helps..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #4
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

I'm in NJ and some of the foliage and even some main stems on my plants are curled. Im thinking wind damage also. It's been blowing hard for a few days now.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #5
Abruzzo
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the suggestions. We have had 20mph sustained for the past few days, but the new top growth is looking thin and unhealthy.... I'm hoping the plants grows out of it. Time will tell
Old June 16, 2016   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It's odd to me that link really doesn't touch on one aspect of curling, which is new growth growing 'pig tail' style at worse, or just curled downward, sometimes oddly bent at the end, which from what I've identified is mostly due to excess nitrogen but possibly also related to copper or zinc.
It's odd that this year a lot more people seem to have it, me included (a lot worse than in your case). I assumed here it's because we barely had any sun at all since last year, which will push the plants to be over vegetative.
One sure sign that is the case, is the orientation of flower clusters (when they will appear). If they sit upright, almost parallel to the stem, it's 100% excess N.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #7
Abruzzo
Tomatovillian™

That's a good point...

All the plants in question have been planted 100% new 50/50 food scrap compost/loam mix..

On top of that I've been soil fertilizing weekly with what equates to a 8-7-5 instant/fish fertilizer.

Could that schedule be causing the purple seen on this new growth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (437.0 KB, 72 views)
Old June 16, 2016   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am no tomato expert but that sounds like an awful lot of fertilizing to me. If I fertilize at all, it's once a month.

I am also seeing some curly leaves on some of my plants. I have 2 gardens and I am seeing the curly leaves on the tomato plants in the garden that get hits by more wind and it is drier too.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...st-or-Curl.pdf

Last edited by brownrexx; June 16, 2016 at 11:05 AM.
brownrexx is online now   Reply With Quote