Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 21, 2007   #1
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Default How many plants can I fit in this giant container?

I have a very large hard open bottum black plastic mulch bin. I have just emptied it and will not be mulching anymore, because I am moving in about a year and this will be my last summer garden at this location. The estimated size is 3-4ft tall and 2square foot opening on the top and the bottum is about 3squre feet. It is kind of like a steep pyramid with the top cut off. It probably can hold about 3-4 large out door trash cans full of soil. I usually prune and stake my large tomatoes, but let the sungolds go wild. The cherries are very invasive so I wouldn't mind moving them off the main garden into this bin. Anyway how many plants would some experienced container grower put in this thing. It might even be fun to put a large variety in the container also, but the cheries might sufocate it. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Vince
Old March 7, 2007   #2
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Vince, since the top of your container isn't much larger than a regular Earthbox, I don't think I would plant more than two tomatoes, three at the most. Any more and the tops, when full grown, would be awfully crowed.

Red

Last edited by Big_Red; March 7, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice Red! This has been posted for a while, and I thought I might never get a response. I decided about a week ago to plant 2 sungolds in the "pot".
It is positioned under partial shade of an avocado tree, to shade the black plastic shell from the consistent 100+ temps to come. I will train the plants onto a large cloths line out of the shade and into full sun. Hopefuly it will end up like a giant grape vine of sungolds about 6 feet off the ground. Thanks again.

Vince
Old March 9, 2007   #4
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Sounds good, good luck!
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2007   #5
Warren
Tomatovillian™

how did this work for you?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote