Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 25, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default possible problem with my beans

First, I am noticing some brown spots on some of the foliage and a couple of leaves have wilted.The Roma are shooting out runners like they are pole beans, package said bush

Have also noticed some black spots on the wood that werent there before, it will rub off on my hands if I rub it

The foliage issue is only on the BL, the Roma II look fine with no issues at all.Any ideas?
BL in the front and Roma II in the back

Last edited by duajones; March 25, 2007 at 05:41 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I see the runners too -- odd! I've seen the occasional runner on a bush bean plant, but not so many like that.

Thinning and crisping of the middle of leaves with no ringing usually points me to leaf sunburn, but the plants started outside so I guess that can't be it.

Perhaps check under the leaves for aphids? Watch for lots of ant activity which may hint at ants farming aphids. Aphids produce a nectar which ants like, so they have been known to set up a symbiotic relationship in your garden where ants bring and foster aphids which is NOT good for the plants.

By any chance did you spray any insecticide, fungicide, (organic or otherwise) etc. onto the plants, especially during a hot, sunny part of the day?

Last edited by feldon30; March 25, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I have sprayed them with is daconil,did it late afternoon so I dont think that was a problem. I am baffled by the black spots though. there are some on the inside of the boards and there seems to be some type of root or growth on some of them, even a leaf that has the same ink looking black spot.

So did ferry morse possibly make a mistake and label my roma II beans bush and they are actually pole?

Last edited by duajones; March 25, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old March 26, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. I don't know much about bean diseases, and have never really had much trouble when growing them (other than getting pole beans to produce decently ). Maybe I've been fortunate.

If someone more knowledgeable on beans doesn't chime in, you might want to start here and have a look at some of the pictures:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne.../Bean_List.htm

The first picture looks like a burnt leaf to me. Also, it does sound like you might have gotten the wrong seeds for the Roma (it happens).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

not sure what to do with pole beans if that is indeed what they are. Just my luck. The package clearly says romano bush, should I contact ferry morse and let them know about the mixup? I chose the bush bean over the pole because I didnt want to have to mess with another trellis. I am tempted to just pull them up and start another batch if I can find true roma II seeds. Looks like I got lemons, anyone have a recipe for lemonade?

Last edited by duajones; March 26, 2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old March 27, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

they come up this afternoon, will plant true roma II in their place.
Old March 28, 2007   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I noticed today that some of the leaves are wilting as well. And not from lack of water. My concern now is whether I should pull the plants, or let them grow? If it is some kind of wilt disease, will it effect the soil in my new raised bed? I would rather pull them and replant than effect the whole bed of soil. Heres a couple more pics
top of leaf

underside of leaf

wilting leaf
Old March 29, 2007   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Duane, that last set of closeups helped to clarify something for me. That doesn't look like sunburn as I said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
I noticed today that some of the leaves are wilting as well. And not from lack of water. My concern now is whether I should pull the plants, or let them grow? If it is some kind of wilt disease, will it effect the soil in my new raised bed? I would rather pull them and replant than effect the whole bed of soil.
A lot of people simply don't read the tomato pest/disease forum, so I'm going to try moving your question over to misc veg. Then, maybe folks that know more about bean diseases than I do will see your post and be able to comment.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate it suze, but I removed the plants yesterday. I panicked thinking that it might be some type of virus and didnt want to have to dump the whole bed. Someone at gw suggested that it was oedema, and that it was probably nothing to worry about. I will be in search of my DUMMY sign for the rest of the day...Live and Learn
Old April 7, 2007   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I sent out the empty pack of seeds per Ferry Morse instructions. Today I recieved a letter of apology concerning my germination problem? And a pack of Roma vfn tomato seeds. Those guys are on the ball
Old April 8, 2007   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

If it was me I'd thin the Roma IIs so they're about a foot apart. You can plant double rows, plants one foot apart and rows two feet apart. They set flowers quickly on lower stem so check close to soil for an early crop. If you have a long growing season I've read that you can cut spent plants off a few inches above ground and plants will regrow.
Old April 26, 2007   #12
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I decided to replant roma II beans, same seed source, different lot. And I have pole beans again. someone doesnt want me growing the roma II's I guess. i have a pack from Park seeds, maybe I will give them a try
Old May 5, 2007   #13
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

You might in fact have bush beans, Duane. It's not that uncommon for bush beans to have substantial runners. Bush beans came about as selections from pole beans, as I understand it, and it wouldn't be that hard to talk them into being pole beans again. The Tendergreen bush beans I grow often have runners several feet long. Then there is a whole category of "half-runner" beans.

I've seen that type of leaf disease before, too. Don't know what it is. I don't think I ever actually lost a plant to it--they seemed to do okay despite a few leaves looking that way.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #14
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Duane, have you got a closer picture of the "stain" on the wood? That looks like some form of mold to me, in which case you should not get it on your hands.

I would take a little straight bleach out to the garden along with a paintbrush and, wearing a painter's mask, paint bleach very generously over every single one of those black marks that you can find. Don't bother to rinse. That is not, BTW, the most effective way to deal with mold-infected wood. Just the only one I can think of that does not involve tearing apart your bed.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #15
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
You might in fact have bush beans, Duane. It's not that uncommon for bush beans to have substantial runners.
Where were you weeks ago before I pulled them? Then I replanted the same variety with a different lot number and got the same thing. Since then, someone at gw suggested that it was fairly common in the roma II beans. So instead of eating beans I have been replanting and waiting.... Its all Earls fault since he so highly reccomended the roma II's. LOL Thanks for your response Ruth, I really do appreciate it. And I replanted Roma II's again, this time from Park seed. And I expect runners this time around. Meanwhile I have Contender beans that are just starting to show beans and Tenderpod not far behind.

Duane