Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 17, 2007   #16
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

My kids thought it was so cool that their grandparents saved them some blue potato chips from their JetBlue flight. I'm sure if I showed them these pictures they would want our yard turned into a giant potato garden. Those potatoes look so cool!

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #17
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzbear View Post
PP, we do, but you have to search for them a bit.

I'm only just starting to plant some more varieties of potatoes. They are soooo rewarding to grow yourself.
Hmmm, really? I wonder if I could grow some over winter since we don't have frost, but maybe the ground is too cold?

PP
Old March 17, 2007   #18
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

PP, put them in a stryofoam box - you can get them free of charge from your friendly greengrocer. Put some soil/compost in the box, add the potatoes, add mulch. Watch them grow.

You can get some really nice potato varieties from the Central Market or Wilson's Organic Shop opposite the market.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I planted 2 rows of potatoes with about 126 sets per row. Now I'm asking myself "What on earth will I do with all those potatoes?".

It was cold outside and the sun was shining. The soil had just the right amount of moisture to crumble nicely when I tilled it. And it is the right time to plant potatoes around here.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #20
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default question for Tom

Fusion, great picture. Yum.

Tom,

I was wondering why the breeding program on the west side of the mountains? Is that where all the potatoes are grown? I've never heard of seed potatoes grown anywhere in Washington than the east side of the state, in Ellensburg, Yakima etc. Ellensburg produces fabulous potatoes.

I'm from Yakima originally, so you've really got me curious here.

maryinpnw
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #21
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Mary
Quote:
I was wondering why the breeding program on the west side of the mountains?
I moved my breeding program to Redmond, WA.from Bakersfield, CA. since my wife relocated here three years ago as a Financial Analyst with the now new AT&T.

She works for pay while I work for play, or so it seems.

Quote:
Is that where all the potatoes are grown? I've never heard of seed potatoes grown anywhere in Washington than the east side of the state, in Ellensburg, Yakima etc.
Naw. Potatoes grown in Skagit County are known for the high quality of reds, Yukons, Whites, and Blues. Eastern Washington is known for the Russet families. Over 90% of my potato breeding has to do with non russet classes. Earlier my proprietary potato varieties were all grown in the county north of Skagit in Whatcom County as certified seed. My research is done in four counties in Washington plus in several locations in California where ten of thousands of boxes of my varieties are marketed.

I actually prefer the cool, wet climate of the PNW over the hot dry climate of Kern County, California. It is my Manx blood that conditions me to the climate here. Since I am a Tater-Mater by profession, what better place to be?

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #22
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks Tom

Thinking back to childhood, I don't remember anything but russets and sometimes reds for potato salad. Hmm...

I did not know Skagit County was such a producer of potatoes. Thanks for the information. It's all news to me.

I appreciate reading your posts and wish you much success in your work, because that means good eating for us!

maryinpnw

Last edited by maryinoregon; March 31, 2007 at 03:07 AM.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote