Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 8, 2022   #1
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Default Last Call! Rediscover the Jersey Tomato

Rutgers University has been selling several varieties of tomato seeds in its "Rediscover the New Jersey Tomato" program for a number of years now. The varieties are Rutgers 250, Ramapo F1, Moreton F1, KC-146 (a.k.a. Campbell's 146), and a newly-developed variety called Scarlet Sunrise Bicolor Grape. They are discontinuing direct seed sales as of the end of the year, so if you want to order from them, act fast. Most of these varieties are also available from other vendors, but the price from Rutgers is pretty good ($4 for a pack of 30 seeds), and the shipping fee is very low ($1.50 or $2.50).

If you're not already familiar with it, you can read about the program and the tomatoes here: https://breeding.rutgers.edu/tomatoes/#availability
The order form, which includes variety descriptions, is here: https://go.rutgers.edu/tomato

To order, you have to complete the form and mail it in; there is no online ordering.

I've grown Moreton but not any of the others. Does anyone have any experience with any of these varieties in recent years? Has anyone tried the grape tomato?
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2022   #2
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up! Do you know, would any of these varieties be considered heat tolerant?
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2022   #3
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Do you know, would any of these varieties be considered heat tolerant?
I don't think any of these are considered especially heat tolerant; probably basically average. They grow well in New Jersey, which has hot summers but not extreme heat like you would get in Central CA or AZ, etc.

The only one I've grown is Moreton, which I would say is less heat tolerant than most of the tomatoes I've grown. This year I grew it next to Supersonic, and Supersonic continued to produce all summer and fall, while Moreton pretty much gave up in early August and never came back. So, I would say don't choose Moreton if you need a heat-tolerant tomato. I've seen a few people online say Ramapo is heat-tolerant but I can't say whether that's true.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2022   #4
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks VirginiaClay, I was tempted to try the Campbell's 146, but best to save that space for something more tolerant of the heat we've been getting.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote