Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 30, 2008   #46
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Thanks kktwahoo.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #47
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Clarence,

What varieties do you grow up there, and how do you store them? We have a cool room in the basement, but not a root cellar, yet.

Thanks!

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2008   #48
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

So has anybody received their on line order from potatogarden/milk ranch/ronnigers yet this year? Mine is due here in a couple of weeks.
Old February 25, 2008   #49
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Michele,

I faxed my order today to White Mountain Farm, Mosca, Colorado. Have to get a call back to know how much to send for them, but hope they are here in three weeks, or so.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #50
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My order from Milk Ranch/potatogarden.com arrived today. It had been mentioned that there were some problems with their old web site but I think it must be cleared up now. My SIL also received her seed potatoes and she ordered on line, as well.
Old March 29, 2008   #51
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes

Just couldn't resist giving potatoes a try. The low cost of each variety at Ronniger's was too tempting. The shipping was more expensive than what I paid for 3 varieties, but I expected that. So the cost including shipping was a little less than $6/variety - 1 lb. each. Not bad for my needs.

Carola, German Butterball & La Ratte were the 3 I selected. Fortunately, they weren't sold out yet, as some have been.

BTW, thanks for the updates....

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2008   #52
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I also ordered from Wood Prairie Farm and those came right away. Not as cheap as Ronniger's/Milk Ranch/potatogarden though.
Old May 1, 2008   #53
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes

What do you know, I received my seed taters from Ronnigers. Picked them up from UPS today at lunch.
Just to show how little I know about this, I wasn't sure whether to expect small potatoes or 2 oz. slices with a couple eyes in each slice. I was leaning towards believing I'd receive the latter. So I was a little surprised when I saw they were small potatoes.

What I need to find out now: These don't have eyes growing out yet. Do I need to wait to plant them until they start growing? I'm guessing they'll start fine if I plant them like they are but I want to make sure before I waste any. I know I need to get started right away to get anything of decent size before it gets cold next Sep/Oct.

Anxious to get started. I'll probably plant them in 5 & 10 lb. grow bags. Maybe two to a bag, at least in the larger bags.

Jeff
Old May 1, 2008   #54
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You don't HAVE to wait for eyes, but I think it's best. For one thing, it helps to know which side to point upwards.

Hope you have a fantastic crop.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #55
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Yor favorite place to buy seed potatoes

Thanks Feldon,

Guess it wouldn't hurt to wait another few days. I should still have time to start these and get decent sized potatoes. Originally I was only going to grow a couple of each variety but now that I have them I think I'll plant virtually every seed potato. Should end up with a decent crop even if each seed tater doesn't max out it's potential.