Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 25, 2010   #16
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default one pound box with 1 oz. tubers offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
I could easily put one tiny potato tuber per variety in a box and get 'em to you when you are ready to plant.

I am thinking of sending out a one pound box with 1 oz. tubers with about 15 different varieties. Perhaps $10 would be a fair price. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Tom Wagner
Last year I planted a blue fleshed blue skin potato which I thought was Purple Peruvian but the flowers wasn't white as I expected but lilac flower/redish brown pollen. Then I discovered the berries, had my first experience with TPS which I saved to experiment growing some this year.

Any idea Tom of what variety this could be?

Looking for info on how to etc, I found Tom Wagner's name and is how I found this site! Anyway I am interested in the 1lb box of tiny tubers clones (hopefuly with a red fleshed clone) to try. How do I proceed?? I am growing my own seedling tubers from my unknown blue potato TPS for next year plantings. And few of the unknown blue potatoes clones and yukon golds.

Wendy
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #17
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Wendy, thanks for the pictures of those potato plants. Growing potatoes from TPS is something I will never tire of doing. The photos look like they could be Purple Peruvian, therefore, I found some links to this variety that may, or may not, prove to valuable for a comparison.

http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=408
Quote:
http://1greengeneration.elementsinti...09/flowers.png
http://1greengeneration.elementsinti...atoberries.png
6. Potatoes! Hooray for potatoes! Easiest plant to grow, beautiful plants and flowers, and it’s lots of fun harvesting them. And I had no idea they produced potato berries – so strange!
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/ken...016_889_tn.jpg

http://www.landscapingrevolution.com...e_peruvian.jpg
the image above looks like yours, Wendy.

I am pleased that my name was linked to your search for info on potato berries. Our Administrator, Mischka
should be happy that you joined up and posted here for your first time.

Wendy, if you search through many of the potato forum threads you may find some interesting details on growing potatoes from true seed. If you want more information on other potatoes such as red flesh potatoes or just wanting to order some, just PM me.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #18
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for replying. I PM'd you.
Quote:
Wendy, thanks for the pictures of those potato plants.
My pleasure to show my pictures. Thanks for the links. The unknow blue potato could be any of those. I was just curious about the name to keep in my records as the mother of my TPS seeds.
Quote:
I am pleased that my name was linked to your search for info on potato berries. Our Administrator, Mischka
should be happy that you joined up and posted here for your first time.
I found your blog, videos and posts here, took few weeks to read all the potato posts scattered around the web on TPS. I found Svalli and Richards, very helpfull and they have good looking plants. I started my TPS seeds already following your suggestions in one post.
They look tiny 20 days after sowing the seed,here they are:

Wendy Montañez
Old January 26, 2010   #19
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Our Administrator, Mischka should be happy that you joined up and posted here for your first time.
Indeed, I am.

Always nice to have another fellow gardener from the Bay State join us, too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

But the real question, Wendy...Red Sox fan? Celtics? Pats? Bruins? My wife is from Lowell (her mom and brother still live there, and her sister in Williamstown).

Welcome to Tville!
Old January 26, 2010   #21
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i have ordered from ronnigers in the past with good results, and was thinking about doing so this year.

tom,
i would be interested in trying anything you have to offer. i might be able to combine an order with duane to save shipping cost. he is taking a well deserved mini vacation right now.
sign me up.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #22
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Mischka: I am glad I joined in, ton of good information here. I am learning a lot.

NCTomatoman: I am a transplant living in Lowell actually, grew up in the Caribbean. I did not grew up with football, but I became a fan of the local teams of course! Celtics, pats and red socks, go pats!
Old January 26, 2010   #23
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Here is picture of my Peruvian Purple flowers. These were white.

Original seed potatoes were purchased from Milk Ranch.

Sari
Old January 26, 2010   #24
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Svalli (Sari),
I found 2 references that has Peruvian purple with white flowers like yours, and Blue of Sweeden, Russian Blue as lilac flower. I am going to keep the name unknown, it's fun nevertheless to experiment with TPS. I wonder if I am going to get a blue flesh or red from my TPS. The only potato I planted was the blue when I got the berries, selfed. One seedling has a dark stem, too soon to tell I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
Here is picture of my Peruvian Purple flowers. These were white.

Original seed potatoes were purchased from Milk Ranch.

Sari
Old January 27, 2010   #25
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Keith, that sounds like a great idea. You have so much more growing room than I do so that would probably work out perfectly. We can figure out the logistics later. I'm trolling T-ville waiting for the temp to get to 65 so I can go out on the lanai and read.

Duane
Old January 30, 2010   #26
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

From Ronnigers, one of the best I've grown is Banana aka Russian Banana. It is a waxy flesh fingerling with excellent production and decent flavor.

From Tom's potatoes, I highly recommend Azul Toro. It was the most productive variety I got from him out of about 40 varieties he sent me over the last few years. This is a deep blue/black potato that gets up to 3 inches long by 2 inches wide. It is typically a very smooth oval shape. I got up to 5 pounds of potatoes per plant which is outstanding in this area. Old market favorites like Kennebec typically produce potatoes at 3 to 5 pounds per hill.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2010   #27
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
From Tom's potatoes, I highly recommend Azul Toro. It was the most productive variety I got from him out of about 40 varieties he sent me over the last few years
DarJones, thanks for the info, I will wait to see what I get from tuber sampler potatoes that I ordered from Tom's Taters. I am growing those next to few of my own TPS seedling hills. I have about 12 seedlings from seeds sowed in the first week of January. And about 20 more seedlings germinating now from seeds sowed in the first week of February. The tallest one is 1 inch tall and looking healthy

Wendy
Old February 26, 2010   #28
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just ordered the following:

Adirondack Blue, Mountain Rose, Desiree, Romanze, Rose Gold, Blossom, French Fingerling and Nicola. One pound, 8 types...a blue flesh, a pink flesh, some yellow flesh, two fingerlings.

can't wait to grow potatoes this year!
Old February 26, 2010   #29
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I think I am going to watch this thread and order potatoes in the fall for a fall season in my greenhouse.
Old February 26, 2010   #30
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

craig i see you ordered but if you have an agway nearby you should try "all blue".

agway prices are pretty low. i last bought potatoes in 2008 and they were 65 cents a pound for seed.

all blue is purple/blue throughout and keeps like mummies in egypt. i had a few volunteer plants last year from 2008 and i dug about 12 potatoes in august. i put them in a plastic grocery bag in the fridge. 7 months later they are as hard as a rock, no signs of sprouting. they'll keep for months more from past experience. they are a pretty color and taste good. they are oblong and can get to be good sized, my biggest were about 6" long 1 1/4" in diameter but the typical size was about 4" long.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote