Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 7, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Worth, are you sure these are not leeks?
They are garlic I collected from heads I bought from the grocery store.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #17
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Yes of course, I missed to add a smiley to that last post. Edited to correct that ;-)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #18
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I've read it won't make a difference.

I've also read it will make for smaller heads/bulbs next year.

And I've read that if it will only have a negative effect if it grows and freezes back twice during one winter.

Mine grew about 4-6 inches before last week's snow and ice storm killed the top growth. At this point whatever happens, happens.
So what temp did it take to kill the tops?, the coldest temp ive ever had my garlic exposed to -12Cdeg and they were fine.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I don't recall at this point, but they usually die after multiple days and nights well below zero.

Right now we're have day-time temps in the mid-to-upper 30's F and night-time lows in the teens, and the tops are just fine. If it were to stay below freezing day and night for days at a time, I'm sure they'd die back again.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #20
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I planted garlic for the first time mainly so I can try garlic scapes. I have heard they are delicious. So I hope the scapes grow back if they got frozen. The garlic I am sure will be fine, its under thick mulch with a good root system and can certainly regrow green tops. Here it has been very cold at night but warm enough during the day that even my small pond fully thaws during the day and doesn't even have any ice on it by the end of the day, ,and it is fully exposed. So hopefully the cold isn't lasting long enough to touch the garlic under all that mulch.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I had quite a few garlic planted this winter..Music,Bogatyr,Purple Italian,Benld and some hardnecks I saved from last year, they all did pretty good. I also planted Early California
and Late California, they didn't do so well...lost half of each crop, but I'm hoping the ones that made it will grow some good garlic next year.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #22
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I planted garlic for the first time mainly so I can try garlic scapes. I have heard they are delicious. So I hope the scapes grow back if they got frozen. The garlic I am sure will be fine, its under thick mulch with a good root system and can certainly regrow green tops. Here it has been very cold at night but warm enough during the day that even my small pond fully thaws during the day and doesn't even have any ice on it by the end of the day, ,and it is fully exposed. So hopefully the cold isn't lasting long enough to touch the garlic under all that mulch.
If you planted Hardneck garlic, and it made it thru winter, you will have scapes.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post

Sue, if you planted hardnecks, the scapes won't actually show up until a bit later in the season, so you should be fine.
Old April 7, 2016   #24
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I did plant hard necks. So as long as the plant survives, the scapes should be fine. Great!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The scapes are the flower stalk and they typically appear in early June in my garden, possibly a bit earlier for you. One day you'll notice that what initially appears to be another leaf emerging is actually a solid, round stem, and that's the scape. Then the watching begins because you want to pick them after they curl, but before they start to straighten out.
Old April 7, 2016   #26
henry
Tomatovillian™

Photo of a garlic scape. The brown on the end of some of the leaves is from a hard freeze in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7092875-scape-s-.jpg (478.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by henry; April 7, 2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added
henry is offline   Reply With Quote