Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 21, 2015   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default Dixondale

If you got onion plants from dixondale this year how would you rate them compared to other years YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #2
whistech
Tomatovillian™

This year was a challenging year for growing onions and that includes growing transplants. There was just way too much rain in Texas. I get my transplants from Dixondale every year and some of the transplants this year were smaller than normal.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Got 2/3 of mine from Dixondale too. As whistech replied above - a challenging year indeed.

I've grown Dixondale transplants/onions for three years and I won't buy from them again.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #4
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

They were VERY small this year and I'm guessing 1/3 of them didn't make it. I'm going back to starting my own.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #5
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Mine were a little smaller than usual this year, but they are doing well now. I've gotten my onions from them for at least five years, I think, and they always grow better than anything else I can get up here. I start all my own seeds for most other crops, though. I figure they had no control over the weather, so I am going to continue ordering from them. I've always had excellent service. This yr, my bunch of leaks did not have the advertised number, so they immediately sent out an entire new bunch.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #6
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

I used to order all my short-day onion plants from them annually. Great results. Then I started growing some of my own again 4 or 5 years back and grew them side-by-side with the ordered plants.

This year's weather was so hard on onions that I lost most of my own-grown. Put in a quick order to Dixondale for some intermediate day Texas Supersweet and they are doing fine. So I sure wouldn't want to lay any problems I had off on Dixondale.

I can't grow long-day varieties so can't comment on their performance.

Dave
Old June 21, 2015   #7
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

My Dixondale transplants were excellent this year - in fact I only had one year out of nine years of buying from them where one variety was a bit weak. The Copra and Ailsa Craig are doing fine, but the Candy is quite spotty this year again, so I will likely drop them next year.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

We get leeks and onions from them. This year they all did well except one onion variety out of 6. They have always done well for us in previous years. I think the one that didn't do well is a variety we hadn't grown before. The candies white and red and superstars have done well for us with our alkali soil.

Last edited by 4season; June 21, 2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add 1 line
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #9
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year ordering from Dixondale. I ordered three kinds of onion transplants.. Copra , Sweet Spanish and Candy. They were on the small side. Candy is doing/growing very well, Spanish is spotty, probably lost 1/2 the plants, and Copra is not doing well at all! Lost the majority of them after a few frosts.. I was hoping to have lot's of long term storage onions with the Spanish, sad I wont. I might place another order with them next year, It is called a second chance.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #10
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe anyone is going to get better onion transplants than the ones you get from Dixondale. This year, as i mentioned earlier, was a very challenging year for onions.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #11
Bristolgarden
Tomatovillian™

I lost maybe 20% of my candy and everything else is 90%+ from Dixondale. Some were a bit small this year but have been growing great. The ones that were small were way over count on the bunches. I ordered 7 bunches and ended up with over 600 onions. Considering is has been cool and wet I am very happy with how my onions are doing this year.
Bristolgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #12
kevenson
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Dixondale Alisa Craig long day onions for 5 years with great results except this year. I gave bunches to 7 different people and every person has less than half still alive. I have, in the past, even written positive reviews on their website. Maybe the heavy rains are the reason-I hate to think the company is through putting out quality plants. I will give them at least one more year here in NW Montana.
kevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #13
troad
Tomatovillian™

Copra starts may have been a little smaller this year but one bunch gave me over 100 starts. All doing well and are sizing up nicely. Ailsa Craig around 75 starts in one bunch doing fine. So more than 175 plants in the two bunches I bought. No complaints here.
Old June 29, 2015   #14
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

We got Copra, Ailsa Craig, Ringmaster, Highlander, and Red Zepelin from them. We've had all but the Ringmaster from them in the past, and all seemed to be pretty much the same on receipt as in previous years except possibly fresher, as in more moist/more recently dug. They were a bit slower to get going than in a number of years, and slower than the specialty ones I started from seeds and grew in plugs. I did lose a few of the Dixondale extras I planted in shallow trough containers, but that's on me and on a rainy spell we had. Those in the garden all look pretty good right now.