Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 5, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse Forum?

Any chance on getting a Greenhouse Forum? One that deals with all aspects from building to growing stuff in them? Thanks for any consideration.

I know you've put a lot into this project [Tville] and you're doing great with it. Keep up the great work!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I second Earl's suggestion.....I would love to see a greenhouse tomato forum.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I would like to see a Greenhouse forum as well.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #4
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Yes, great idea.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

1 Greenhouse forum coming up! :wink:

I am building one here, myself. I'm also looking into assembling a geodesic dome with triple-wall polycarbonate panels for a year-round sunroom.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #6
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I hope all of you dedicated greenhouse enthusiasts will take the time to post pics of what is growing in your 'house.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #7
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

We threw one up and it has been a godsend! We used plastic sheeting experimentally, and to save on cost initially, and will be replacing it with polycarbonate sheets, mainly to stop the 'boom' of the plastic at night. It's sending the goldfish mad. I grew several tomatoes in it and will be lifting some of my capsicums and eggplants to winter over inside. The ideal is to be able to extend our short tomoato growing season by a month or so either end. I had some success with that. I also use it to propogate all my seeds and I don't know what I did before I had it - it's a great escape place too. Now I want a bigger one but will have to pick my timing on saying that out loud! Now I have a propogating frame going spare. Might have to plant more! It was not hard to build ourselves and a comparable size one would have cost us 4 times as much commercially.
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #8
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

I love reading anything about commercial greenhouse growing even though I don't have one. I learn a lot about nutrient requirements , how much and when , and other information from them.

Absolutely love commercially-grown Campari tomatoes grown in greenhouse with no pesticides . Friend told me to try them as they were sweeter than mine (read that better) (Costco has the best as I believe they don't refrigerate them in storage.)

I am also interested in low-tunnel growing and I am considering that to moderate low temps. in winter.

I have great links on all this stuff.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #9
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi MsCowpea,

Thanks for the information about Costco greenhouses. I checked out the links for Costco...Cool stuff. However, I am a little confused. With the Costco greenhouses will I need supplemental air, heat and lighting sources? Also, in Roseville (Sacramento Zone 9), will I be able to grow tomatoes and peppers all year in a greenhouse?

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-dont know about the Costco greenhouses, but no matter what kind you get, I can guarantee you that you will not be able to grow in the greenhouse during the summer. I am in zone 8, and grow in there all winter and late fall. During the summer, even with shade cloth and an air conditioner going 18 hours a day, I would have 110 or more degree temps. Where you are, you should be able to grow tomatoes, herbs and salad greens, kale, chard etc all winter and fall-in fact, you should be able to grow chard, kale, cutting lettuces, mache, etc outside all winter, and leave the greenhouse for basil, marjoram, oregano and tomatoes. So you could have at least 2 tomato seasons, possibly 3 a year. We have fresh tomatoes virtually all year long.
Old March 6, 2006   #11
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Yikes, don't go out and buy a costco greenhouse, I was referring to the tomato they sell. I have researched camparis and the greenhouse methods they are grown with in Arizonia and Canada.

As for as the Costco greenhouse I don't know anything about them.

Carl Huffaker
Old March 6, 2006   #12
angelstiger
Tomatovillian™

The Costco site does seem to have some good deals though. $2399 8 X 16 Rion includes: free shipping, shade cloth, base frame, twinwall polycarbonate, 2 louvered vents, 4 roof vents with automatic openers, and a two tiered table. It is going onto my wish list for sure.
Old March 6, 2006   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCowpea
Yikes, don't go out and buy a costco greenhouse, I was referring to the tomato they sell. I have researched camparis and the greenhouse methods they are grown with in Arizonia and Canada.

As for as the Costco greenhouse I don't know anything about them.
Oh no. :wink: I just clicked on the okay button after sumbitting my credit card number. Just kidding.

I am actually window shopping for our next house (in 3+ years when DH finishes grad school).
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #14
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

That's just what I was worried about.

Next thing I know you are writing 'whoever told me to buy this crummy greenhouse?'.

Actually, I just looked at them and they do look nice. The one you mentioned has alot of features and seems pretty reasonable. Hope you get one for a present.

farkee (MCP)

Carl Huffaker
Old March 7, 2006   #15
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

well, ive got a fiance in grad school, im just starting out of college (ie. i make OK money, but not going out and spending $3000 kinda job). We got some trash windows (yes, double panes being thrown out in the trash in Hype Park, Cincinnati).
We buy haybales (one lasted the whole year, if we stored them safely we wouldnt have to buy new but use it as mulch and compost) and have frames for nearly free.

some day id like a built in / passive solar (south facing) greenhouse...
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote