Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 6, 2009   #1
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Default fly infestation in compost anyone use diatomaceous earth?

Even though I bury wet compostables, I had an awful fly problem. (the manure kind a black a little larger than a fruit fly) Just a nasty mess of em. Has anyone use diatomaceous earth in compost? I don't want to mess up the process, just cut the population a bit.

This year when I brought my peppers in, the flys hatched indoors along with a few fungus gnats and aphids. I have been giving garlic soap baths and will try a little de on the plants tomorrow. Any other suggestions for compost control and the after math.

Thanks
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Maricybele, used DE on ants but not on flies. Give it a try and see what happens. The "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" which is organic just might be what you need. I did a post on it in the "Garden Disease Pest Forum". Does your compost pile heat up during the composting process or is it let it set for a year and breaks down naturally? Ami
Old January 6, 2009   #3
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Its a hot pile up, I use one of those compost lifters when I add kitchen waste and cover with used coffee grounds.
Old January 6, 2009   #4
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

DE should work on flies. . . it worked for me on weird knats, flying ants, and I believe termites. Oh yes, also ticks, which are impossible to kill! :0) I killed a fly with Windex yesterday actually, so if that works moisture sucking DE should def. do the trick!
Old January 9, 2009   #5
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice.
Old January 13, 2009   #6
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hijack Maricybele... what is DE stand for ?
I have some gnats attacking my indoor (over-wintering) plants. Thanks!
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2009   #7
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

diatomaceous earth....
Old January 13, 2009   #8
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for my silly questions, got the answer for the Diatomaceous Earth (DE) .
Old January 13, 2009   #9
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Maricybele! We are posting at the same time .
Old January 19, 2009   #10
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Maricybele.

We might just be neighbors. I'm in Corvallis, which is also zone 8 in Oregon.

I'm not sure what those insects are, but are they really a problem? You've got a hot pile; it's outside. Other than their wanting to fly into your face when you turn the pile, I don't see how they would be a problem for the compost or its process.

Isn't DE water soluble? Or, at least, doesn't it break down quickly when exposed to moisture?

Could it be that your pile is too wet, and therefore it attracts those flies? Do you know what C:N ratio your pile is?

Do you cover your pile? If yes, and it fits loosely, have you tried laying a couple burlap sacks directly on top of the pile? This will diminish the likelihood of unwanted insects' entering the pile. (You can get burlap sacks from coffee roasters-Allann Brothers in Albany, Sivetz in Corvallis, etc.)

I've got 4 piles cooking right now, and I haven't noticed a fly problem. My piles are made from approx. 35-40% coffee grounds, 5-10% kitchen waste, and 50+% unshredded leaves. I zealously collect coffee grounds from two Starbucks' shops in town.

Regards,

Michael
Enjoy life!

Last edited by mresseguie; January 24, 2009 at 03:42 AM.
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #11
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

My piles are hot and perhaps a little wet and the worst one is the compost black barrell type bin and all are covered. I use a lot of coffee and leaves too. The issue with the flys is that that hatched with the indoor overwintering peppers/egg plants and I want as few pests as possible inside. happy to have them in the plant area with my baby plants. A few flies are to be expected but at one point last year it was absolutely disgusting.
Old January 19, 2009   #12
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Maricybele,

Now I've got a clearer picture of your problem. I'd thought you were concerned about the outside piles--silly me! To get rid of insects and other nasties, the compost can be pasteurized. I don't have the info at my fingertips, but it seems to me that setting compost on a cookie sheet, and baking at 160 degrees for 30 minutes will do it. Hang on a sec..... Yeah....here's a link from New Mexico State University on the subject:

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/CES/yard/1999/071299.html

If you are close to Corvallis, PM me sometime. We can get together over compost.

Michael

P.S. Good for you for using coffee grounds as a nitrogen source! I collect them faster than I can use them this time of year. I've got approx. fifty 25 lb to 40 lb bags stockpiled for future needs.