Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 13, 2013   #1
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Default Question on thinning out my TPS seedlings

So I posted earlier in the month that my TPS sprouted. Well, it really freaking sprouted. I had so many TPS that I just planted a bunch not expecting much to happen. Now I have a ton of over-crowded plants growing just starting to show their first true leaves.

Is there anything at this stage I can look at that may give me indications for overall health or keys to certain features? There are a couple that are showing some great vigor over the others.
Old March 14, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Just a note about what I have done all these years with TPS.

Sometimes I painstakingly transplant each seedling to their own cube of soil media but sometimes I transplant the whole cluster of 2 to 10 seedlings intact either in the greenhouse or to the field. Often I bury the smaller plants giving the advantage to the stronger seedlings. It is up to you.

Several seedlings together is like one plant with several stems...they adjust quite well.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #3
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

I've seen the berries on the potatoes but don't know how to plant them. Do you plant the whole berry? What would I call the progeny?
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

TPS must be separated from the potato berry since the pulp and surrounding biologicals act as an inhibitor for sprouting. Also the whole berry ...dried or fresh may carry one or more pathogens.

The progeny of any variety is OP...likely selfed....but occasionally out crossed begetting progenies that are sufficiently different enough as to be a potential distinct variety unlike tomato varieties which generally run true to type.

Naming any progeny of clones bearing TPS should wait until they produce tubers for one or more generations. Only the best deserve a name since the majority of first year seedlings fail to be winners. Experience says select the best 10% the first season and then just one or two of those the second year.

When I provide TPS of many varieties to folks...I expect them to nickname their favorites. Sometimes I even like to request a tuber or new TPS to put into my breeding blocks.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote