Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 5, 2013   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default fertilizer timing

We have had over two weeks of wet weather (but not too wet I don't think), and the result of that is a massive surge in growth. I'm guessing that my granular fertilizer (12-12-12), tilled in before planting, finally got a chance to dissolve and is now available to the roots. This all occurred in the middle of flowering so I'm wondering how the surge in top growth now will affect production, bulking etc.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Seems that a fertilizer spike during blooming is close to what some farmers want. The blooming and new growth coincide with tuber initiation on the stolons and bulking will occur on a timely basis. The tubers may taste a bit sweeter than if the fertilizer was moderated more.

The idea is to get the haulm developed and allow for the nutrients to be stored in the leaves with ample transocation of those nutrients to the tubers as the leaves begin to turn yellow and senescence sets in.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know. Sweet is not a problem. We don't deep fry anything.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote