Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 14, 2016   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Asparagus?

I've never grown an asparagus bed, but always wanted to. I'm thinking of the new variety, Jersey Knight, which is an all male cultivator, but I have several questions that maybe someone could assist.

I am looking to plant 25 crowns in a 5'x10'x21" bed.

Q:

1) I am thinking about starting w/ a 3 y.o. crown, as opposed to seed. However, I see some suggest that a 1 y.o. crown is just as good.

2) I'm not 100% sold on the variety, but seems like the new strain is a lot better production than the old Martha and such. So any advice on variety would be appreciated.

3) Soil preparation and planting depth. Says to plant 12" deep and fill as it growns until you get to soil top. Also say it is heavy nitro feeder.

4) Fall planting or spring planting. I can have the bed ready in Sept., but I see most suggest planting in the spring. currently 7B location.

As stated above, I have never attempted to grow asparagus, but like asparagus and cook on grill often. So any general troubleshooting.

....or maybe, it is really not worth it taking up space for little production. I do like the perennial factor.

tia
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Planting time may be different in your part of the country. We don't even have asparagus crowns available in the Fall so it's Spring planting here. I planted 2 year old crowns.

I planted Jersey Supreme crowns in 2010 and I fertilize both Spring and Fall with compost. I harvest for the full 8 weeks now and have excellent production.

One reason that the all male varieties are better, besides increased production, is that they do not get as many berries (they do get a few) and the spotted asparagus beetles lay eggs in the berries. Less berries = less beetles.

One thing that I will mention is that after producing spears the plants send up very tall fronds which produce food for the plant all summer and then they die off in the winter. I planted mine closer to my main garden than I should have and in about July they start to shade the end of my garden. I would have planted them farther away if I had realized this.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

thank you for your reply.

by "very tall," are you talking 6-8' or more?

anything more than 8' might change things. sounds like you have it going on, 8 weeks is a good harvest period.

...& I have heard that fresh 'gus blows away that supermarket crap. I
Old July 14, 2016   #4
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
thank you for your reply.

by "very tall," are you talking 6-8' or more?

anything more than 8' might change things. sounds like you have it going on, 8 weeks is a good harvest period.

...& I have heard that fresh 'gus blows away that supermarket crap. I
Mine have fronds between 8-10 feet this year. They only got to ~4-6 foot last year. Once they get above 6' they start to droop over onto everything. I've had to stake mine this year to keep them upright.
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #5
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Wow. A privacy fence. Shouldn't be a problem. I have an acre to explore, but have to go raised bed. Problem is, the open field gets a ton of sunlight (>12+ this time of year). I'm not sure that gus can take the heat.
Old July 14, 2016   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I would say 6-8' is the height of mine and the taste does not even compare to supermarket asparagus.

I used the think that store stuff was pretty good until one of my neighbors went on a 2 week vacation and told me to help myself to her asparagus. I bought my crowns the same year. I just couldn't believe the difference and it freezes well too.

I am not sure how many hours of sun we have here in PA but I see lots of beds of asparagus along farm fields.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #7
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I like the supermarket asparagus, but, man, it gets spotty at times and very poor quality. (shriveled up, "bendy"). I want some snap, crackle, and *pop*

like to wrap it up w/ a thin sliced pru...... (Italian salami) procetti (sp?) (I give up on spelling that...)

Definitely going with the crown 2-3 year......

so now:

1) Jersey Knight gets excellent reviews and one I am opting for at this time. However, this is also possible a 30 year project, which makes more than an annual decision here.

2) Can you plant in the fall? I usu. only see spring -which is fine, but considering a perinneal and I get mild winter, seems like I could stick it in the ground last sept. - oct. about the same time as garlic.
Old July 14, 2016   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Get your bed ready this year (weed free as possible) and plant in the Spring when new crowns are available. Order them from a reputable company, too. I personally would say purple asparagus is my favorite for taste. it blows green away... more like peas if you eat it raw but it does cook up green.
Old July 14, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Get your bed ready this year (weed free as possible) and plant in the Spring when new crowns are available. Order them from a reputable company, too. I personally would say purple asparagus is my favorite for taste. it blows green away... more like peas if you eat it raw but it does cook up green.
Have you had white asparagus?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Have you had white asparagus?

Worth
nope. That calls for blanching as it grows... no time in my schedule for that.
Old July 14, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
nope. That calls for blanching as it grows... no time in my schedule for that.
I didn't think so, too much trouble I dont think I have either.
Worth
Old July 14, 2016   #12
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Wow. A privacy fence. Shouldn't be a problem. I have an acre to explore, but have to go raised bed. Problem is, the open field gets a ton of sunlight (>12+ this time of year). I'm not sure that gus can take the heat.
Pretty sure they can take the heat. Many of my relatives have huge asparagus beds in gardens around Tucson, AZ and the fringe of the desert in SoCal. I doubt that you'll beat their occasional 110 and they don't have any problems with their plants. I have no idea what they grow (...I kinda assume on old UC ag station project someone pilfered but who knows...) but they seem fine. Also, they're recommended to grow in the low desert areas of the Sonoran desert in full sun. I'm sure yours will be fine!
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Awesome. Thx

Buck ten is unlikely.
Old July 14, 2016   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've seen it planted in regular flower beds on the west side of houses here. It would have to be heat tolerant to live through 100+F days with the heat and light reflecting off of the western walls of houses.

I want to grow some too. I have not done the research you have yet, but I will.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've seen it planted in regular flower beds on the west side of houses here. It would have to be heat tolerant to live through 100+F days with the heat and light reflecting off of the western walls of houses.

I want to grow some too. I have not done the research you have yet, but I will.
Saklt it is pretty easy to grow.
My mother in law that could kill anything grew it in west Texas.

Just pick out a spot weed free and plant the stuff.
In about 3 years you will have it running out your ears.
And it will always be there from year to year.

The trick is to let it get established.

Worth