Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 23, 2012   #1
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Default A personlly successful white fly control method

I have had a TERRIBLE white fly problem lately. Massive quantities of the buggers that nothing (purchased...labeled for organic, though) seems to have worked with. Three weeks ago I started something new and regular and am now virtually white fly free.

First, I make a neem oil spray. In a mason jar put 24 ozs warm water and add a bit less than 1/4 tsp dish soap, I used Green Works, shake it WELL. Now add 3/4 tsp neem oil. Shake it WELL again. Put this in a spray bottle and spray well all signs of white flies on all your plants that you can see. Make certain to shake the bottle often to keep the oil mixed! (This can take some time and you may have to make more mix. Really be sure you've covered those nasties.) The next day, take a spray bottle filled with warm water (nothing else.) Look over all the plants and spray any white flies you now see. There are often some. If you find you've missed an infested leaf/area, use the neem spray (you may have to make fresh. Fresh made, with warm water, is best.)

The first time I did this, 4 days later there were virtually no white flies at all. In a couple places, I saw little black dots all over a leaf back, and removed them, just in case. One week later, repeat the spraying. This past week, my third week out, I found barely any white flies, but those I did, I sprayed the heck out of again!

I have had ZERO luck with the commercially available neem sprays, btw, so I wouldn't waste your money on them (since I already did). Or any of the insecticidal soap sprays (same reason). Or even that one thing I can't believe I used but I was desperate and then it didn't work so I tossed it before I caved and tried again. I really hate white flies.

Oh, an interesting side note, because I have powdery mildew on my zucchini and the poor things looked like they weren't going to make it, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give them a quick misting of the neem spray (I was a bit spray crazy at that moment). Two days later almost all signs of the PM was gone and big, deep green leaves appears.
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #2
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Nodding and making a handwritten note. Sounds good, Freya. The local woman whose blog I started reading, and whose stuff I have bought at a nearby farmer's market, said she only uses neem oil for pest and fungus control when someone asked her.

Is all neem oil the same or are there good and bad brands/extractions? I'll ask that generally, but what brand did you buy?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #3
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

I have a bottle of Theraneem Organics: Neem Oil for the Garden. White bottle. I bought it at a health food store.

Thanks for the info on hearing it can be used as a fungicide. I will now spray several other plants that have traces of PM that I didn't want to kill while in my spraying craze.
Old November 23, 2012   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here's the neem I use, I order 2 at a time. It's pretty reasonable and you have to use it often. :http://www.gardensafe.com/products-a...ncentrate.aspx
Neem is supposed to be anti bacterial, antifungal, and insecticidal to soft bodied insects such as whiteflies, and they can never develop resistance to it like they can with a pesticide. Mix with a little soap as a wetting agent about a teaspoon for a 2 gallon sprayer, and I use 3 TBSP per gallon of the neem oil.Shake often while spraying, and only spray early AM or late afternoon to avoid frying the plant's leaves in the bright sun.
It is totally organic, and it has something in it that inhibits growth of new whiteflies.
Good stuff. I can't remember for sure but I think the shipping was free for the 2.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #5
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I think that is the brand I saw at Lowe's, Marsha. Which is good to know. Freya, the only neem oil I see via health food stores is a 1 ounce bottle for topical healthcare use. Is that what you use in your formula?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #6
dice
Tomatovillian™

You can find pure neem oil with no additives of any kind
packaged for the soap, shampoo, etc industries. Simply mix
it with soap (organic dish soap, Castille soap, Murphy's Oil Soap,
etc) to give it something to bind to in a spray (not water
soluble). It needs to be at 80F or above to keep the fats
in it dissolved in the other parts of neem oil. At lower temperatures
you can see the chunky stuff coagulating in it. (I simply put it
in a container of hot water in a sink to dissolve all of the fats
and shake it before measuring some out to make a spray.)

For some uses on plants, it works well. Somehow it interferes
with the metabolism of many insects, which gives it its insect
repellent properties. Forget all of the stuff about medicating
with it. It is a nice skin and hair tonic, but it does not kill tough
bacteria like staph or strep, and it does not kill tinea (athlete's
foot, ringworm, etc).

It clearly works well on white flies, used as described in this thread.
http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Neem-Oil

Last edited by dice; November 24, 2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: clarity
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #7
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Great additional info! I think I might buy one of those misting sprayers to provide a wider range of coverage as I had to refill my 24 oz bottle 3 times just for my relatively small number of plants. (I definitely coverage well, though.)

DON'T buy the expensive, 1 oz, stuff at the healthfood store. What I have is made for garden use and in a 16 oz bottle (100% neem oil, too). I'm sure the brands listed by the others is just as good.

I've a question though! Is it okay to use this spray if it'll get on things like tomatoes, or zucchini, or other soon-to-be consumed produce?

Last edited by FreyaFL; November 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old November 24, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.horticulturesource.com/ac...sprayers-s101/ Keep in mind most of the feeding,breeding and egg laying goes on underneath the mater leaves.Got me 360 sprayers for that purpose.

Last edited by kurt; November 24, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #9
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is it okay to use this spray if it'll get on things like tomatoes, or zucchini, or other soon-to-be consumed produce?
The soap that the neem oil is bound to will allow it to wash off
easily. (You can buy neem extracts that are edible, azidarachtin,
or neem leaf capsules, but I do not know of anyone that eats
the pressed oil directly, and you would not want to eat the soap,
either.) As far as I know, it is not absorbed by the plant that you
spray it on.
Old November 25, 2012   #10
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://www.horticulturesource.com/ac...sprayers-s101/ Keep in mind most of the feeding,breeding and egg laying goes on underneath the mater leaves.Got me 360 sprayers for that purpose.
I have a problem with using the hand pumping spray bottles for any length of time (I've nerve damage that causes a weakness in my hands for certain repetitive movements), so I would like to get one that is uses a pump air pressure sprayer. Reading the reviews it sounds like these are very hit and miss as far as good or bad. (Anyone with a "good" one they'd recommend? 2 quart to 1 gallon size is what I'm thinking.) And, yeah, they love the undersides, don't they? I have another dozen plants nearly ready to plant out and REALLY need something that sprays underneath without my lifting every single branch like I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
The soap that the neem oil is bound to will allow it to wash off easily. (You can buy neem extracts that are edible, azidarachtin, or neem leaf capsules, but I do not know of anyone that eats the pressed oil directly, and you would not want to eat the soap, either.) As far as I know, it is not absorbed by the plant that you spray it on.
Thanks! I was hoping this would be the case. (I don't spray my greens as the white flies haven't seemed to bother them, but I hit the green tomatoes even though I try not to.)
Old November 25, 2012   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

At amazon if you buy $25.00 worth and sign up for the 30 day free Prime trial you get free shipping (2 days).Friend sent link.She got the Safer organic spray cheap with the sprayer same time. SOLO DIRECTIONAL SPRAYER W/ EXTENDA WAND [Item # 708590]

Last edited by kurt; November 25, 2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: I got this one 1year ago and still going strong
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012   #12
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
At amazon if you buy $25.00 worth and sign up for the 30 day free Prime trial you get free shipping (2 days).Friend sent link.She got the Safer organic spray cheap with the sprayer same time. SOLO DIRECTIONAL SPRAYER W/ EXTENDA WAND [Item # 708590]
Thanks for the referral on the sprayer! (Though, the Safer spray is one I tried and it worked as well as plain water which does work somewhat. I'll hope she has better results.)
Old November 25, 2012   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

She had good success with the Safer Bio Neem concentrate.I guess they have different products.We use ladybugs/minute pirate bugs for control.
Old November 25, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Glad to read this, as I just noticed a bunch of whiteflies on flowers and eggplants. Will give this a try.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012   #15
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
...We use ladybugs/minute pirate bugs for control.
Most of the ones I'm battling are inside my screened pool area. There are ones outside it, but they seem to be under control atm from predator bugs and plant death (my sweet potatoes...they totally attacked these. Fortunately, sweet potatoes will survive an apocalypse, so I trust they'll recover. LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Glad to read this, as I just noticed a bunch of whiteflies on flowers and eggplants. Will give this a try.
Good luck! Remember to not be delicate here. Spray, spray, spray! (Whiteflies seem to prefer my peppers, next after that the eggplants.) Oh, just be careful about timing of spraying. It should be done when the sun won't then burn them. (Evening? Morning?) I guess this is the advice given when doing any kind of foliar spraying, however.