Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 11, 2015   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Ruslan

This picture of Ruslan was taken in the morning with the sun shining from the east. The bottom is facing west and is shaded so it looks darker in the picture, but actually the tomato is fairly even colored. If anyone would like me to take another picture this afternoon, I will do so. I can pick it and slice it open to show what the inside looks like too.
Ruslan_am.jpg
I am hoping the tomato was named after the Kievan knight in the story about Ruslan and Lyudmila. If there is a Lyudmila tomato it would be so cool to grow them next to each other.
I think I will have Chernomor tomato seeds to grow out next year but I will grow them in another part of the garden. Chernomor tomatoes remind me of the sorcerer Chernomor, who like in the story of Ruslan and Lyudmila, could take many different shapes and forms.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #2
charline
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, how is the taste of this tomato? never heard about it but I am always interested in everything that is not red...
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
Dutch, how is the taste of this tomato? never heard about it but I am always interested in everything that is not red...
Hi Charline, Thanks for asking. Ruslan does not taste like it looks. It has a citrus taste somewhat like Limmony and almost no tomato taste at all. I would not recommend it for a BLT or in a tomato sauce, but I like it by itself and I think it would be great in salsa as long as you also had some tomatoes in the salsa that tasted like tomatoes. I will definitely grow it again. I could sit down, sprinkle them with a little salt and eat em by the dozens.
Ruslan_pm.jpg
Ruslan_ver.jpg
Ruslan_hor.jpg
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dutch; September 11, 2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spelling of citrus, not a French car
Old September 11, 2015   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a neat story - like something out of Brothers Grimm.
Here's a link to some tomatoes with "Ludmilla" in the name, don't know if there's anything closer.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...a%27s_Red_Plum
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grew those this year too, I agree with your taste test result also. I also grew a white beefsteak from them, and it is excellent, surprisingly good. I will have to go and look at the name though. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #6
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you made a post about these tomatos. I just ordered some Rusland seeds and am excited to grow them next year.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, which do you prefer Ruslan or Limmony?

I used Limmony to make a wonderful Pineapple salsa last year. This salsa I used for fish and other dishes as opposed to using it for chips or Mexican foods. It really did not even need the traditional tasting tomatoes.

This is a beautiful tomato.
Old September 24, 2015   #8
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patti and thanks for asking. I apologize for not responding sooner. I do prefer the taste of Limmony (aka Lemmony). Ruslan and Limmony are each unique and both will have a place in my future gardens. This year I am growing Limmony from Totally Tomatoes, Tomato Growers Supply, Tomatofest and Hihant Lymonnyy from Nikitovka Seeds. I’ll try to post some pictures of them later in the week. Thanks to all for your comments.
Dutch

Old January 3, 2016   #9
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I grew those this year too, I agree with your taste test result also. I also grew a white beefsteak from them, and it is excellent, surprisingly good. I will have to go and look at the name though. lol
Hi Mark, Can you tell us the name of the white beefsteak you mentioned above?
Thank you for all your posts. Good stuff.
Dutch

Tags
limmony , ludmilla , lyudmila , ruslan , rusland