Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 12, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Crushing

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%20...Crushing/HTML/ 12 August 2015 Garlic Crushing
To obtain maximum nutritional benefits of garlic it should be crushed for a minimum of 15 minutes prior to use.Garlic crushers are almost useless, in that they are usually too small for the clove and are difficult to clean. I have a tortilla press so decided to use it. It works well and is quick.To remove the skin of the cloves a Folgers coffee container is used, since it has ridges inside which bump the clove when shaken and loosens the skin.The crushed garlic was fried at low heatin butter in a cast iron frying pan. This particular batch was used to garnish a baked potato. Photos depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Wow Durgan! A tortilla press! You are quite ingenious. What are Canadian tortillas like?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

I use a microplane to grate my garlic. keep the skin on and grate away, no peeling needed! the skin stays on the top and the garlic goes through the grater. works like a charm.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Crushing

I have an older Suzy garlic press that works great. If the cloves are smaller, it fits two at a time, and only the very largest cloves need to be cut in half. I think they might have changed the design, so no idea if the older on is still available.

Correction - it's a Susi by Zyliss. They have a 2 and a 3 model that look very similar to mine.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; August 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I used to use the Martin Yan way of crushing garlic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ciBUPOebWU Now, I slice it see-through thin with a chef's knife. Both are quick and easy. I wouldn't want want to crush garlic for 30 seconds lol
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Wow Durgan! A tortilla press! You are quite ingenious. What are Canadian tortillas like?
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OTWWN 28 January 2015 Tortillas
A batch of tortillas was made using garden nixtamalized corn and some commercial masa flour. The corn was made into a smooth texture in the blender with water then mixed with masa flour to get the right texture for forming tortillas. A tablespoon of baking powder was added to get some leavening. The formed tortillas were cooked in the oven at 400F for six minutes in batches of eight on cookie sheets. Alternately they can be cooked in a cast iron pan on top of the stove. The press has parchment paper to prevent sticking on one side of the tortilla and the top side is removed by running a knife edge under the pressed tortilla for ease of handling.The method of mixing means one does not have to grind the wet nixtamalized corn, which is difficult if not impossible at home.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Durgan,

Your illustrated step-by-step process for this (and all your projects) are really great. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to make it so simple.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I used to use the Martin Yan way of crushing garlic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ciBUPOebWU Now, I slice it see-through thin with a chef's knife. Both are quick and easy. I wouldn't want want to crush garlic for 30 seconds lol
The Samurais way of crushing garlic lol
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Its not at all hard or impossible to grind hominy/nixtamalized corn at home dry or wet.
You need a corn grinder.
Where I live you can buy fresh moist Masa Harina in the refrigerated department for almost free.
A tortilla made from fresh hominy/novel idea is to die for.
To pump out large quantities of crushed garlic use a meat grinder.
I have an old hand crank food chopper that works great.
The tortilla press is a novel idea.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
The Samurais way of crushing garlic lol
That's the way I have been peeling and crushing garlic for over 30 years.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote