Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 19, 2015   #1
kennyl
Tomatovillian™

Default seedling help

Hi all, I have my seedlings up about 3 or 4" tall. They were real pretty so on the first day of warm weather I put them out in direct sun all day now two days later they are turning yellow and leaves are curling. Do you think there is any hope to save them?
kennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Possibly. I would bring them back inside for sure or if your weather is nice, in a spot where it is nice and shady and also out of the wind. You don't need wind burn on top of sun scald if you haven't already damaged them with it too.

If it was me, I would keep them. May take them several weeks to come back and produce new leaves, but to be on the safe side, I would start a few more seeds too.

If you had a pic, than it would be easier to see how badly damaged they are and if there is a good chance of saving them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Have you heard of hardening off? Please read up on that. If they were started indoors you need to introduce them to the outdoors SLOOOOOOOOWLY...
Old March 22, 2015   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Actually I would suggest starting over, but trying to nurse those back to life at the same time. If they don't do well you will have started off a little sooner than waiting to see if they were going to recover. Put the plants in the shade and keep them out of direct sun and wind for a few days. Start your new batch and as soon as they are emerged set them in light/dappled shade when you put them out. As long as it isn't dropping into the 40's at night time and the critters can't get into them I would leave them outside day and night. Just give them shelter from wind, rain and direct sun. It won't hurt them to have some wind/sun on them though. Just try to keep it minimal while they are little.
Old March 23, 2015   #5
kennyl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice. I just thought they were turning yellow but actually they were just starting to turn solid white. Some leaves are curling and falling off but they seem to still growing taller. I start some more just in case.
kennyl is offline   Reply With Quote