Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2015   #1
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Default Beginners question

Hi everyone,

This may be a silly question, so pardon me if it is.

I'm in the process of building an indoor garden. My question is, how many times can one tomato plant be harvested?

So, once the plant has fruit on it and harvested, do I just start from seed again, or can I do some pruning in hopes of it flowering again and giving me some fruits once again. If I can do this, how long will one plant be able to last?

Thanks!
Ghawdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If you grow "determinate" varieties, they produce fruit all at once and then the plant is finished.

Indeterminate varieties continue to produce fruit until frost kills them. They are perennial in warm climates.

HTH,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Linda is right. Just be aware that many indeterminates can grow really big (tall) so research and plan on some kind of support system (there's lots of types to choose from, from purchased supports to less expensive, homemade methods). Even the determinates will benefit from some support, usually cage-type. I'm not sure what you mean by indoor garden, but my northern Vermont greenhouse-grown Black Cherry plants, for example, usually reach 17-20 long before a freeze takes them, usually in October. That's the top end for me so far, but most varieties in the greenhouse will, on average, easily reach 6'-8'.
Old March 22, 2015   #4
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
If you grow "determinate" varieties, they produce fruit all at once and then the plant is finished.

Indeterminate varieties continue to produce fruit until frost kills them. They are perennial in warm climates.

HTH,
Linda
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Linda is right. Just be aware that many indeterminates can grow really big (tall) so research and plan on some kind of support system (there's lots of types to choose from, from purchased supports to less expensive, homemade methods). Even the determinates will benefit from some support, usually cage-type. I'm not sure what you mean by indoor garden, but my northern Vermont greenhouse-grown Black Cherry plants, for example, usually reach 17-20 long before a freeze takes them, usually in October. That's the top end for me so far, but most varieties in the greenhouse will, on average, easily reach 6'-8'.

If I prune them correctly, will it be able to grow wide and short..? Also, I didn't mean to say 'indoor garden' but more so, an indoor grow. I just purchased a 1000 watt Gavita HPS DE light, and will be getting a grow tent and a hydroponic system so I can grow year round. I have considered doing a greenhouse as well..

Thank You
Old March 22, 2015   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

You might consider some of the dwarf varieties developed by the Dwarf Project. It has produced some darn tasty varieties, most of which top out at 3-4 feet or so.
Old March 22, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghawdex View Post
Thank You!

If I prune them correctly, will it be able to grow wide and short..? Also, I didn't mean to say 'indoor garden' but more so, an indoor grow. I just purchased a 1000 watt Gavita HPS DE light, and will be getting a grow tent and a hydroponic system so I can grow year round. I have considered doing a greenhouse as well..

Thank You
Look into "DWARFS" for indoor gardening. Then you wont have to prune them.
Dwarfs also come as determinant and indeterminant.
If I had to do what you are planning, I would grow dwarfs.

EDited to add:
Sometimes DWARFS also called BUSH TYPES, Patio types.

Last edited by Gardeneer; March 22, 2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: edting
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #7
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Thank you guys, I will look into these Dwarfs.

Pardon this question, but do they produce a lot of fruit? as my plan is to only do 2-3 plants indoors along with 2-3 pepper plants.
Old March 22, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghawdex View Post
Thank you guys, I will look into these Dwarfs.

Pardon this question, but do they produce a lot of fruit? as my plan is to only do 2-3 plants indoors along with 2-3 pepper plants.
Some varieties do. Sarandipity is a machine!, Perth Pride produces very well too. Tatjana was very productive, very compact, and the earliest tomato to ripen for me last year. It only grows to about 2.5 ft tall.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I agree about dwarfs.

There is also a compact-growing hybrid cherry tomato called Terrenzo. I think it would work well in a tent. The fruit are sweet, and flavor is good. Most hybrid dwarfs are really horrible flavor-wise.

Trying to grow a typical indeterminate would be a nightmare. The vines would overgrow everything. And depending on your style of hydro grow, giant rootballs can also clog up systems that depend on water flowing over the roots.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #10
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Any way you slice it, tomatoes are not great indoor plants. You can grow dwarf varieties, sure but if you are expecting bushels of tomatoes you will be disappointed. I would keep the tomatoes outside, grow indeterminants for big yields and for the indoor garden stick with herbs and greens, stuff that is very convenient to have very close by.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote