Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 15, 2006   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I go ahead and buy plants?

I winter sowed my peppers on 3-11 and so far only the Thai peppers have sprouted. I also sowed seeds indoors almost 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten any sprouts yet.
I'm wondering if I should give them some more time or if it would be better for me to go and buy plants. I'm afraid that if I wait for the seeds to sprout, it will be too late for them to produce.
Here's my list of seeds sown (both winter sown and indoors).
California Wonder
Chocolate Bell
Grand Bell Mix
Anaheim Chile
Jalapeño
Thai
Zimbabwe Bird
Pimento
Thanks for any guidance!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2006   #2
ZZTOPSOIL
Tomatovillian™

Cathy.

You Say You 'Winter Sowed'...What Did You Use as a Container? If the Container Has a Lid...Bring Them with the Lids Intact...All Inside.
Pepper Seeds Need Heat! They Will Sprout Quicker with Bottom Heat!
And Winter Sowing Outside is Not Going to Cut it ...or Get the Pepper Seeds to Sprout Quickly. They Will Sprout When the Soil Inside that Container Hits the Required Temperature(For Me a Constant 75ºF...Warmer the Better)
I Bet if You Bring them All Inside They Will Sprout in a Few Days...They are Just Waiting for the Soil to Heat Up.

I Wouldn't Give Up...Sometimes I Have Had Peppers Take Up to a Month to Germinate...And Those are Some Good Peppers Your Growing from Seed and Should Germinate Quickly!

Lelan.
Old April 16, 2006   #3
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

My wintersown peppers just started sprouting last week. make sure your containers are in a sunny area so that the soil gets warm and check to see if they need watered. I had to water most of my containers last week after the 70 deg temps we had all week.

I wouldn't give up just yet on your wintersown peppers.

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2006   #4
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Well, I don't have a heat mat and the basement stays close to 65º - 70º.
I winter sowed tomatoes and peppers in styro cups inside plastic shoe/sweater boxes. All of which were placed on my raised bed so therefore get plenty of sun. I have already removed the lids and have watered several times. (Maybe, that's why they aren't sprouting!) The cilantro and a couple of parsley's in them have sprouted and are doing well in addition to the Thai pepper sprouts.
The 6 cell domed tray I used to start the peppers indoors, I had down in the basement, but knowing that it's too cool down there for them, I moved it to the back porch (with the lid in place!).
The daytime temps have been in the mid to high 70's and low 80's, though this morning seems to be rather cool.
So, perhaps the 6 cell will have a better chance of germination if I just give it more time and sun.
Thanks for your encouagements, strmy and ZZ!
Cathy
Old April 16, 2006   #5
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Cathy,

I love those domed trays! Could you possibly place it on top of something warm? A TV set, water heater, perhaps the computer tower or monitor? And stick a thermometer inside. 10° can make a world of difference in the time it takes a seed to sprout. Shoot for 85°F or so. Too warm is not good either.

Wally World sells heating pads with 3 temp levels and that is what I use.

Just a suggestion.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2006   #6
ZZTOPSOIL
Tomatovillian™

Cathy-

How are Your Peppers Doing Now?
Did They Germinate?
Old April 29, 2006   #7
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Hey ZZ,
They aren't doing much better, but then I haven't had a chance to do anything with them.
Things have been just too hectic, but one of the WS bell peppers have now sprouted despite the cooler weather we've been having.
I'll give things until about the 15th of May, then just pick up a jalapeno plant... (Gotta have that for making salsa! :wink: And maybe a bell... I love stuffed peppers! )
I'll definately do the pepper seeds differently next year and see about getting a heat mat...
Thanks for asking! And for the advice!
Cathy
Old May 13, 2006   #8
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

I think you need to plan on purchasing plants. that is what I am forced to do also. I do have some plants that I seeded and are nice and big.

I like to put out big peppers to get them to ripen before winter sets in. I planted mine about the same day you did. my Jalapenos are 8 to 12 inches tall right now.

it is way too cold outside right now. so I have them indoors under shop lights. they were cold and miserable but now they have warmed up and are looking good again. I brought them in about 24 hours ago. takes time for that cold root ball to warm up good.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #9
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Last year without heat it took way over a month for my peppers to germinate. I thought I had lost them and bought plants, but as soon as it was warm enough 75-80 every one of them sprouted. I thought it was too late, but the hot cherry peppers that I did put in did fine and made quite a few peppers.
This year I bought a heat mat and they germinated (most of them) within 2 weeks.
tomakers is offline   Reply With Quote