Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2017   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default 2017 tomatoes so far

I wanted to share a few pics, my laptop died so for now I am using a tablet. My daughter is coming tomorrow, hopefully she will show me how to post pics on it. (I'm not very tech savvy).

So a while back I posted about Pruden's Purple, it was not producing much. Thanks all who told me to be patient, plant now has 31 tomatoes on it and more setting at top.

I am just blown away by ISPL, I just counted 44 tomatoes and still flowering nicely. Thanks Bill for recommending this one!

I have 2 Big Beef plants with 35+ each. One of which was huge and I almost cried when I found it had snapped off. But luckily it was lying in container and now I have it in a paper bag with a banana hopefully ripening. I will reveal the weight of it when I can post a pic.

Surprisingly (other than cherries), Dr. Wyches was my first ripe tomato and I absolutely love it. There is one almost ready to pick and it is huge, it's going on the scale and I will post pic of it as well.

Azoychka and JF are loading up nicely, those were planted out later.

Two varieties that I haven't been impressed with are Eva Purple Ball and Japanese Black Triefle. For some reason they want to drop blossoms, but they are healthy so maybe that will change First time growing these as well.

My determinate variety this year is Taxi, and saying that they are loaded down is an understatement. WOW.

Another thing of note this year is that the tomatoes have not had the catfacing that I seemed to have a lot of last year.

Just thought I would share my results so far, and so far so good and yes I am knocking on wood. We all know how that can change on a dime!

Hopefully I can share some pics soon, and I will let you all know if I have one bigger than my 2 lb. Kosovo that I posted pic of last year I do not "try" to grow big tomatoes, but it's fun when it happens.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #2
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like your plants are very productive.

This is my first year with Pruden's Purple and ISPL, both were very good.

Hope you can upload your pics soon.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It sounds as if your garden is doing beautifully this year. I'm happy to hear that you have not had any cat facing on your fruits. You must have had more consistent weather this spring. You are having fun and that is the most important thing with the garden. Enjoy yourself and the fruits of your garden.
Old July 13, 2017   #4
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, yes MissS I have really enjoyed the garden this year! Only this week has it been almost unbearably hot/humid that I almost dread going out there.

I have a few pics to upload but haven't had time to delve into the process, death in family, doctor appts, etc it's been an interesting week. Anyway there doesn't appear to be much interest in thread, if anything I would like for those who may have trouble growing in containers to see that indeed it can be very productive. When I get time to upload I will most likely put it in the "growing in containers" forum.

My huge zucchini that is in ground is doing just wonderful. I had two but a strong wind broke Cavili's stem off at base but Dunja is picking up the slack. Spraying stem daily with spinosad to keep svb away hopefully.

Still preapring/building my raised bed where zucchini is growing, next year I think I will use it for corn and okra.

Happy growing everyone!
Old July 13, 2017   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Congrats. Nice to enjoy a good harvest. (I like pics) so I can drool while waiting for mine
to start blushing in a much colder climate...or maybe my neighbors are enjoying as I
am far away from my garden on holiday....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #6
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Picking really nice yellow red, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Orange Slice, Big Beef, Sun Sugar, Black Cherry and a unknown cherry with a pointy bottom that gets dark. Already delivered tomatoes to two libraries and the local dentist office, three neighbors and two sisters and families. What I live for....101 plants making lots of nice tomatoes.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm reading, thanks for the info.
Waiting on pictures.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #8
Alaine13
Tomatovillian™

This my first year with Prudens purple and my plant is Loaded! Easily 3-4 times more baby tomatoes than any of my other varieties right now. I can't wait to taste it--I have a feeling that this one will be a new favorite
Alaine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #9
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

No smart phone. No digital camera. No puter ability to amt to much. No sweat about a poster who didn't know about Tapla'a 5-1-1 mix. Big 40x40 side yard garden and big love for tomatoes. Plowing, seeding under shop lights, planting, staking, tying, fertilizing etc. Cant even remember my e mail address but I do have it written so pics in the future a possibility.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #10
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
No smart phone. No digital camera. No puter ability to amt to much. No sweat about a poster who didn't know about Tapla'a 5-1-1 mix. Big 40x40 side yard garden and big love for tomatoes. Plowing, seeding under shop lights, planting, staking, tying, fertilizing etc. Cant even remember my e mail address but I do have it written so pics in the future a possibility.
Lol, well I was able to post pics from my laptop but it recently died. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ht=Garden+pics

Last year was good until I was hit by herbicide drift. But, this year has been amazing. I am loaded with tomatoes, fruit trusses so heavy they are breaking off. Peppers are loaded as well, I am giving away lots. And preserving as much as possible.

I am going to get some pics uploaded hopefully over the weekend. Still a funeral to attend and some ends that need tying up.
Old July 13, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Nice productivity! And I too also loved Dr. Wyche's Yellow- it was a bit stingy for me, but each fruit was a true delicacy!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote