Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 22, 2015   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Beefsteak vs. Beefmaster

Last week I bought both varieties of seed. Does anybody have feedback on these two? I am trying to figure out which one is the better cultivar.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I believe "Beefsteak" when used as a variety is Crimson Cushion. I don't like it at all. Other people might. If you want a ribbed red tomato, I like Marmande much better.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

hi cole....I do not understand your comment about "beefsteak used as a variety". If I am not mistaken..."Beefsteak" is a distinct variety and "Crimson Cushion" is an heirloom variety that is completely separate..
Old November 22, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
hi cole....I do not understand your comment about "beefsteak used as a variety". If I am not mistaken..."Beefsteak" is a distinct variety and "Crimson Cushion" is an heirloom variety that is completely separate..

It is confusing at the best.
Conventionally "Beefsteak" refer to a class of tomatoes. But I have heard that actually there is a variety called "beefsteak".
But this is not going to help you, Ed.
Personally, I wont try a variety unless it is well reviewed. That is why I am going to grow BIG BEEF and BETTER BOY. again , this is not going to help you, Ed.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ed, I've been curious about Beefsteak over the years. I've read that beefsteak is a descriptive word of a certain size = large and firm. Basically any 12-16 oz. firm tomato.?.

I found a pack of seeds at Walmart. The variety name is Beefsteak. It says 8-12 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0019.JPG (55.9 KB, 101 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Salt, does it say Hybrid or OP?Heirloom ?

I would not trust that brand of seeds to be true. Though I like the price. I have bought various seeds at Walmat years ago, bu not any tomato seeds.
The tomatoes in that picture looks like Big Boy, to me.

Gardenee
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....09&postcount=4

I got nothing off the plant I grew this past summer. A friend of mine had one, too, and he got nothing as well. Maybe it's great for someone else, but I have only seen it do poorly, next to other plants that did well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, they don't have any info. I was told that the seeds come from other places sold in bulk, and then sold cheap under that name on the pack.

Cole, to me, it is confusing too. I won't have room for them in next spring's garden. I was waiting on my wife who was in a mandatory meeting of employees at Walmart - Beefsteak variety took up time, so it has already produced for me. I'll most likely offer them in trade or give them away.

Ed, I've seen BeefMaster in the stores around here for years. I've never tried it. Hybrids are very popular here in this part of Texas - or at least were popular. I've noticed this year, stores offering transplants have more OP varieties than hybrids. That could be because the gourmet world is wanting flavor instead of supermarket tomatoes.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old November 22, 2015   #9
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Well, I appreciate all the input...and maybe we all can learn something. People do refer to "beefsteak type" tomatoes. They are generally the largest in size. There is also a "Beefsteak" variety. That is really what I was referring to. I believe it is an OP variety. I grow many heirloom tomatoes...but I am not an heirloom snob...haha. I have found some folks who do like Beefmaster. Basically, I am like Gardeneer...I prefer not to blindly waste my time/efforts on totally unknowns. That is why you all are so important. Mutually, we represent hundreds of varieties...and with it, some experiences. If I do not get some positive feedback for "Beefsteak"...I will stick to "Beefmaster" and the others I have already grown before or at least know about.
Old November 23, 2015   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Isn't the generic name of beefsteak (tomato) coming from the variety Beefsteak? Or am I remembering wrong?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #11
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

here is the link from Tatiana's
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Beefsteak

variety beefsteak also known as ponderosa red, crimson cushion, and scarlet beefsteak

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

And check out some of the vendors at flea markets. They sell a large 10-12 oz oblong, slightly oblate tomato that they purchase by the box or flat from the local supply houses. When you ask what the name is, they all say "Beefsteak". The beefsteak seeds sold by the American Seed label is not the same. They are more round and markedly smaller.

Around here, there's a cultural thing. Folks don't want to have to remember a lot of names. They just call them whatever comes to mind in the middle of a conversation. My brother knows only that there are "Cherry", "Little'uns", and "Ponderosa" type tomatoes. We talk all the time about his red, pink, and yellow "ponderosas".

Nawwww. He too old to change now. He does love the Sungold F1's I give him each year. He calls them "sweet oranges".

In today's marketing frenzy to get our dollars, the suppliers will name things whatever they think will sell it to us quickest. It's not about being historically accurate. They know that most consumers just don't care as long as the taste is "passable".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #13
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Ted, when I was a kid (California) all sodas were called cokes even if they weren't Coke or cola. So I know what you mean about tomato names. I've always thought that beefsteak meant the "real" tomato flavor-not sweet, not sour.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, Deborah. For us, all sodas were "Pop". I had all kinds of communication problems when I joined the U.S. Air Force and left home.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

One of my earliest memories was going to a feed and seed with my grandfather to pick up some garden seed. There was a drink machine there and the drink cost 5 cents. If you had an empty bottle for deposit - the cokes were free. We called them all cokes too no matter what flavor.