Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 23, 2007   #61
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Johno, have no fear about me letting them grow too long. I still have a vivid image in my mind of the tasty little battered deep fried okras at a restaurant in Eminence, MO.. Never again will I let an okra pod grow to be 5 or 6 inches in length and tough and stringy. I don't use enough of them in soups or stews to let them advance that far.
Baby Deep Frieds are Where It's At!!
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007   #62
johno
Tomatovillian™

Battered in corn meal and deep fried is the best, I agree. I also like them pickled or in gumbo (mmm... gumbo... slobber...) I've never tried eating them raw, but my brother loves to.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2007   #63
duajones
Tomatovillian™

A friend is growing clemson spineless for the first time and offered me some seeds. I will grow one or two plants as no one in my house will eat it but me. Ive read about the itching caused when harvesting okra, Is it really that big of a deal?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2007   #64
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. I have not experienced any itching. I only grow a few plants though. Maybe if you pick a lot that becomes a problem.

At the last second I added some more tomatoes to my garden plan (imagine that!) and now I need to move my okra over with my cukes, squash and melons. I think this means I'll need to grow smaller plants. I have seed for Dwarf Green Long Pod. Has anyone grown this variety before? I'm hoping to space the plants a foot or less apart. It's a four foot wide bed and I'd like to get four to six plants in there. That's tight, I know, but just wondering if it might work with these small plants. The seeds are from Victory and they say the plants will only grow to be about three feet tall.
Old March 1, 2007   #65
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Johno,I too am going to grow Bowling Red this year. I got to tell you it makes me a little worried. Clemson Spineless has always performed perfectly. It's the same feeling I got the first year that I didn't grow a Better Boy tomato. It's darn close to sinning.

If you've grown Bowling Red, please share your thoughts.

Tim
Old March 1, 2007   #66
johno
Tomatovillian™

duajones - There can be problems with itching. I think it varies depending on both the type of okra and the person touching it. It doesn't bother me too much... Some folks use gloves...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2007   #67
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

All okra that I have ever seen produces spines. Some varieties have stiff spines like porcupine quills. Others have relatively soft and flexible spines that don't tend to penetrate skin as much. If you have a large amount of okra to gather, I recommend long sleeves and gloves. It will save you a LOT of itching.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote