Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 25, 2014   #1
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Default Build your own greenhouse/hot house

I think this is my 3rd year of using this. I build in the winter and get it covered to warm up and dry out the soil so i can get an earlier start. then when I don't need it any more, I take it back down and move it aside to get it out of the way. I tried leaving up one year but it just got in the way. I originally built it it was 10'10" wide x 20' long. But like every thing I do, More is better.. So now its 32' long. Next year I think i will have to rebuild it because where i have connections that stay in place ll the time, they are getting loose, ware and tare and weather related..

So anyway enough background.
I built the roof in 3 sections like this

That is the front, I did have a 1' overhang in front but I don't do that anymore
I just put it flush on the front of the walls. All vertical parts are 2x4 and all horizontal parts are 1x4. I have 3 sections like this 4' long but the other 2 don't have the extra vertical PCS.

The bottom parts of the wall are also in PCS. three sections. on each side. They are 4' tall with a upright(stud) every 4' or so. and then i fill in in between with a a few extra PCS.. There has to be a 2nd 2x4 on top of the wall to hold the wall a little straighter. but it still seams to bow out a little.

Back to the roof.... I space out the "prefabbed Pieces and fill that in with 2x4s cut to fit in between. hung on 2x4 joist hangers.

Then I have these pieces for the up rights so there is not such a long span in between the up rights to hold the roof up. about every 4' or so.

The angles are, from bottom to top, 35 10 35 20
The length from long point to long point, bottom 48" top 40 1/2"
you can see the missing parts of the wall roof I was mentioning. Just basically filling in the blanks.
This what it looks like 80% of the way formed up.
Now for covering. I use a 20' wide roll of 6 mill clear plastic. on roll it along the ground and cut to length. if you are smaller the 20' go the other way. because 20' does not reach the ground on the other side. it comes 4' short. more on that later. Starting on one end, fold plastic under not over to prevent water being trapped, once and put a couple staples in move down a foot or so and repeat. Make sure that you fold the same amount again to keep everything sqaure The I go back and screw on a board over the top of the plastic to clamp it on. I use a 2x2 but what ever you got handy will work.

Then just pull the plastic over the top, pull as tight as you can on the other side and repeat the staple/screw process.

Back to coming up short, Yes the way did it I come 4' short. its on the north side and down low so I just use Tyvek house wrap. (job perk).
I didn't say anything about the front and back but if someone wants info on that just ask. I am tired of typing for now..
Here are the finished photos
left side

Right side

Front

Back. I have a wood burning barrel stove that I can put in there thats what the thing is in back. a piece of tin with a hole in it. But I dont have enough firewood right now to burn that at night.

Inside front to back, I put A post in the center just for a little more stability, shes getting old

inside back to front

I created a account in Photobucket and you can see the pictures there. but they are in no order.
http://s125.photobucket.com/user/tom...?sort=3&page=1

This has survived 8" of snow on it and some pretty heavy winds. It is not even staked to the ground! I should be able to get plants in the ground a lot earlier then other people. I need to get a temperature controlled exhaust system in there yet. It does get very hot in there!

Last edited by madddawg; February 26, 2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added photobucket link
madddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #2
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

post some pictures.
Old February 25, 2014   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

???? I can see the pictures just fine, can't you?

Very nice job dawg, I love to see original construction pictures. I really like that you can disassemble it during the off season! And I envy you the wood stove.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #4
aclum
Tomatovillian™

I can't see the photos, either.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Nope, no pictures come through here. Darn!
Shawn
Old February 25, 2014   #6
Poverty Knob
Tomatovillian™

Good job, nice structure. Now we need pics of plants in there!
Poverty Knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I can't get them to show either.
http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php...pictureid=1342
Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; February 25, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

This is so awesome! I love that its demountable.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It's everything I envisioned from you description.
Where's the missile?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I posted this before but a friend put an add in the Pennysaver asking for "Used Sliding Glass Doors" and her phone rang off the hook. She built a 12X12 all glass, all dual pane greenhouse for less than 500.00. She had to buy alsynite panels for the roof and 2X4's. She used an existing 12X12 horse barn so she had 4 posts concreted in the ground. She just framed around each door panel. Bought a used door somewhere. Anyway, it turned out great!

I looked at Maddawgs and it is equally great! I am all for ingenuity as I cannot believe how much the golldang things cost which I found out when I moved to Mexico and had to put up another big one. I could have built a hellofa horse barn for what the one greenhouse cost (Very nearly a vacation cottage...)

Last edited by brokenbar; February 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #11
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

dang, I posted a listing asking for buckets and got NOTHING, nevermind a sliding door! lol
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #12
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate the comments and sorry some of you can not see the pictures. not my fault! Its not that hard to build it yourself just use the general idea and go from there..but its something i do to keep me busy in the off season. if there was only a way I could make this 30' x 60' that would cover almost half my space..hmmm

So anyway should I redo this from a off site photo program that I can trust? photobucket imigeshack ect. looks like it...
Old February 26, 2014   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

This ongoing posting picture problem thing just gets weirder and weirder! I thought at first it must be a browser thing, because on my Mac mini with Firefox, I can see all eleven of the pictures right in the original post, spaced out between the relevant text areas! And I sure don't have any special privileges here. They also showed up fine on my tablet - Nexus/Android/Chrome browser.

Then I checked the Safari browser on the same Mac mini, and I could not see the pictures (or any http links) like the rest of you. Browser problem, uh huh!

Except then to verify it I went on my Mac laptop, and there the pictures don't show on any - Firefox or Chrome or Safari.

Beats me! The mini does have a slightly later version of OS-X.

................. so now I just came back from trudging down into the cold basement to check on the Windows 7 machine, no pics show up on Chrome, Firefox, or Explorer.

Guess my Mac mini must have some kind of super powers!
Also visible on Ubuntu/Firefox on an older Dell desktop.

Now I'm guessing the no show's are related to a pop-up, firewall, permissions type of thingy as all the browser anti-virus things get fussier and more complicated. No expert here.

Last edited by ddsack; February 26, 2014 at 01:33 AM. Reason: adding Ubuntu note
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #14
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I can see your pictures just fine. Very nice greenhouse.
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had to click on Dutchs link.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote