Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 30, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Do it itself.

Here are some results of my no work soil building.
I went out this morning in shorts flip flops and tee shirt to dig and take pictures.
The pictures will be posted and I will then come back and explain the situation.
Worth
IMG_20151130_45860.jpg

IMG_20151130_1165.jpg

IMG_20151130_10933.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What you see in the above photos is the result of water diversion from a gully to an open area.
When it rains all of the organic matter and silt runs across and open area in slow moving sheets and the new soil drops out.
In the last pictuer is a high area that drops down to another flat area so you can see what the soil looked like when I first moved here.
The first two pictures are what it looks like today.
The green plants growing are what is called horse herb.
It is a wild drought resistant ground cover that grows all in my yard.
As long as you dont till it up you have no weeds and the stuff isnt high energy and doesn't suck up nutrients like weeds do.
This new soil is around 6 inches or so deep now.
It is very high in nutrients because the squirrels have told me so.
How can a squirrels talk?
Well they dont but through their actions they have.
They plant corn for me in the yard, were this place is the corn grows like crazy with no help from me.

What will happen here is I will put in dirt saucers 2 feet in diameter and set my tomato cages.
The rest of the area will be left alone.
In these saucers I will mix plant tone and leaves as a mulch and plant a wee tomato plant.
The saucers will be built like a small terrace so the water from the run off collects in them.
I have grown tomatoes here before and they grow like crazy.
The other spot I have never grown in but will this year.
Mind you the soil in the pictures is soaking wet see how loose it is.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 30, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old November 30, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I'm not seeing your pictures, just an image number. This has happened before, randomly.

T-shirt and shorts. Hmmm that is pretty sweet. We have our second icy storm yuck. Always a dilemma, stay where kids are or move for a nicer climate. Then take the chance they'll relocate once you move. Flip flops in late November do sound rather appealing!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Worth, I'm not seeing your pictures, just an image number. This has happened before, randomly.

T-shirt and shorts. Hmmm that is pretty sweet. We have our second icy storm yuck. Always a dilemma, stay where kids are or move for a nicer climate. Then take the chance they'll relocate once you move. Flip flops in late November do sound rather appealing!

- Lisa
Lisa it is 50 degrees outside and wet.
It makes my 65 degree house feel warm.

Worth
Old November 30, 2015   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Well that is not my kind of shorts weather but I suppose its comfy if the sun is out and you are working. I keep my house at 65 as well. Its perfect for indoor growing. I stay warm moving around but when I stop its too cold for me. I have some extra portable heaters that I like to set right in front of me. I think it is my age.

Wish I could see those pics!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Well that is not my kind of shorts weather but I suppose its comfy if the sun is out and you are working. I keep my house at 65 as well. Its perfect for indoor growing. I stay warm moving around but when I stop its too cold for me. I have some extra portable heaters that I like to set right in front of me. I think it is my age.

Wish I could see those pics!

- Lisa
I haven't seen the sun in days it is cold.

I dont know what is going on with pictures?

Worth
Old November 30, 2015   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Wow, the soil in the first pics looks amazing! Never heard of horse herb but toss some of it my way please!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Wow, the soil in the first pics looks amazing! Never heard of horse herb but toss some of it my way please!
Jillian Horesherb is the only thing growing in 90 percent of the yards in my neighborhood.
The other folks are pouring water by the tanker load to keep Bermuda and St Augustine growing.
It almost infuriates me, well it does infuriate me, but not to the point I am going to scream at them even though I would like to.

An older guy down the street stopped and talked to me.
He said my water bill must be over the top, when I told him what it was he almost fell over.
His water alone was like $400.
My bill electricity garbage and water combined runs from $100 to $200.
That is with an underground sprinkler system.
I am a huge water conservationist big time.
I'm running 13 watering zones in my front yard alone and I am constantly clanging the program to fit watering needs for individual plant types.

Worth
Old December 1, 2015   #9
4season
Tomatovillian™

Good looking soil, I hope some of mine is as good. It was 13 degrees this morning . Coldest yet so I am not wearing shorts. How much cold can horseherb take and still grow? I keep thinking some of the cold tolerant weeds could be crossed with a cold tolerant garden crop and make something edible and more winter proof
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

What you are describing sounds like keyline design or swale use in permaculture.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote