Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 19, 2018   #1
Deepak
Tomatovillian™

Default Coyote Tomato taste not as described

I have grown a coyote tomato plant from seeds which I got from a local seed library, the plant grew very well without any disease or signs of stress. However the tomatoes tasted like normal red tomatoes, not even a hint of sweetness. On the contrary, the taste is quite sour and utterly disgusting. I'm sure that I have picked some of them after they were very ripe.

Has this happened to anyone or did I get some wrong yellow cherry tomato seeds mistakenly named as coyote?

Last edited by Deepak; September 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added more clarity to title
Deepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Coyote is definitely an 'aquired taste' that needs some getting used to. When I first tasted it, I thought it was like dishwashing water, or worse... The flavor really improved during the season, and I started to like it, even found it delicious.
There is something almost mushroom-like in there which is unusual, not like a typical candy sweet cherry tomato.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a long list of comments about the variety as well as history and most find it to be very sweet.

Read especially the links from Tomatoville.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Coyote

Yes I've grown it myself, just a few times though.

And it was compared here at TV with another small yellow/white one whose name I can't remember now..

Well I did remember,it was Snow White

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Snow_White

Pale yellow/ivory in color, same as Coyote.

Results for almost ANY variety, taste or otherwise, can vary tremendously based on the season when they were grown and where,geographically, so expect different opinions.

Carolyn

Tags
coyote tomato