Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 2, 2016   #1
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

Default How much do your tomato plants Cost?

Does anybody know how much they themselves spend on potting mix/soil/fertilizers to grow a single tomato plant in a container?

Excluding the cost of seeds or seedlings, water and the container and any other durable goods cost like the PVC tube and/or the net pot in a self watering bucket container, or the other rig costs of a hydroponics system, how much do you spend, per plant, on potting mix and fertilizers altogether for one single plant?

Has anyone ever calculated their own cost per pound of container grown tomatoes? I am just asking about the cost of grow media or potting mix and fertilizers only on a per-pound-of-tomato-fruit basis (exclude the cost of the water, seeds or seedlings and exclude the cost of durable equipment such as that mentioned above).

Last edited by BajaMitch; March 2, 2016 at 02:24 PM.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Please don't even tempt me to do the cost accounting. I am anal enough without this challenge being presented. I refuse to be drawn in. Is there a way to delete a thread so I don't see it again? It's time to plant tomato seeds, so I am too busy.....
Old March 2, 2016   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Just an estimate but I'd say somewhere in the $3-4 range per 5 gallon bucket that I use. That includes seed starting mix, potting soil and fertilizer. Depending on the tomato variety and production I'd say that tomatoes are costing me around $.25 to $.60 a lb.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #4
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

$2.55 worth of promix HP.
Fert solution costs me about 5 cents per gallon.
A mature plant uses about 50 ounces per day x about 120 days is .39gal X .05 X 120 = $2.34 in fert.
So total for media and fert is $4.89
Say 12 lbs per plant, that's .41 per pound.
To be fair that is nowhere near my true cost per lb., just the cost per lb for the media and fert.
My most recent enterprise budget shows my cost per pound at 1.63.
That is at a 12 lb per plant yield. I expect much more but budget conservatively. This cost includes EVERYTHING, including depreciation, my labor, fuel, electric, boxes etc etc
At a 15 lb yield, it drops to 1.37 per pound cost.

Last edited by PureHarvest; March 2, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I'm With PaulF. I really don't want to know! I'd have to factor in the cost of electricity for keeping my greenhouse above 55°F (13°C) early and late in the season. And everything else is much more expensive in Norway, if I can find it at all. (Unfortunately, I don't have the cost of fungicides, because they're only sold to professionals With permits. Copper is concidered dangerous here.)

I know this doesn't help, BajaMitch. Sorry.

I just tell myself there are a lot more expensive hobbies.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #6
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I just tell myself there are a lot more expensive hobbies. - Steve

OMG Yes! A homebody anyway, but I can garden an entire year for what a cruise or week at a resort would cost.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I just tell myself there are a lot more expensive hobbies. - Steve

OMG Yes! A homebody anyway, but I can garden an entire year for what a cruise or week at a resort would cost.
My place is a resort.
Hiking walking through a botanical garden on my property lake right over the hill a river the other way.
People pay good money to come vacation where I live.
I dont container grow so I have no idea what my costs are.
Well below $1 a pound maybe.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

So my costs are somewhat like PureHarvest's. I pay more for promix here, @ $1 gal, and my pots are larger 10-15-20gal. Ferts are the same per gallon, but my containers are larger, so I'll probably fertigate a bit more.

Variable to the pot size, but you get the idea.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #9
joseph
Tomatovillian™

The coconut coir I start tomatoes in costs either 1 cent or 8 cents per plant depending on the size of the pot. The pots cost 2 cents or 20 cents. I raise my own seeds, and plant into a field, and don't apply fertilizer.

The cost to build the greenhouse, amortized over 5 years is about 6 to 22 cents per plant.

So that totals either 9 cents or 50 cents depending on the size of the plant at transplant time.

Last edited by joseph; March 2, 2016 at 11:13 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

For the plants I sell in 4" pots, the container, media, and small amount of osmocote come out to about 15-20 cents, depending on the quantities of the materials I buy at once. I've been getting $1.50, and I will probably raise it to $2. That's a good margin, but there is obviously a lot of work involved. There's also the risk of unpredictable weather. No one buys plants when it's raining. Last year, my plant-selling season was largely a wash-out due to constant rain.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #11
elight
Tomatovillian™

Hard to say for me. I've spent so much in the past 3 seasons improving my beds and containers and irrigation. This is the first time I really have just used what I've had without any substantial improvements.

I'd say I spent $40 in grow media (just to top things off - no major re-fills), and another $40 in fertilizers that will hopefully last the season. Of course I have many sprays and such left over from last season. But I think we can say that this season will cost me around $100 total, for 12 tomato plants and 5 pepper plants.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #12
elight
Tomatovillian™

Of course if we're just talking about the seedlings, I would guess about $0.25 between the seed starting mix, pitting up mix, and the seed. Did not use any fertilizer this year on the seedlings.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #13
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

I have 160 plants potted up this year.
Cost:
$5.00 seed starting mix
$8.00 potting mix
$3.50 cups
$16.50 total expenses, so my plants cost about 10 cents each. I plant in ground and usually spend $10 to $15 on fertilizer.

Pretty cheap hobby.......
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #14
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Potting mix is quite the biggest cost factor, I buy one of the cheapest ones here and it is 8€ for 20 gallons. So if using a 10 gallon pot it's 4€ of soil per plant. On the other hand, I don't pay much for fertilizer, 1kg costs 4€ and I guess that would be enough for over 30 plants for one season.
An other cost factor are different things to keep pests out out of my house as I'm keeping the plants the first 2-3 months in my appartment.

Overall it's quite an expensive hobby for someone like me who has not the possibility to plant tomatoes in beds and have my own compost etc...
I started last season and litterally had nothing at home to grow plants. So I needed to invest a lot of money in things other people might have already have at home (like pots, poles, etc), and even though I was always looking for cheap options - it's adding up.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #15
imp
Tomatovillian™

It costs me about 25 cents average per plant, but I don't use containers to grow past the transplant stage. So, mostly my cost per pound is very very low.

Even in the community garden area, figuring in the cost of a plot with 8 plant's permakes the $20.00 per year low per pound.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote