Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2018   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf curl!

Hi folks,

Newbie here: I've got six seedlings/transplants in the ground and they are thriving, but my Cherokee Purple has just started to show some leaf curl in the past few days. About 10% of the small plant, just less than 12" high, is curling. I should point out that I have had to pinch off a few flowers which wanted to come in way too early.

None of the other plants are having leaf curl, though all plants have the same soil, amounts of water, weather conditions, etc. I've read that it may be related to either too much or too little water, or too much heat or wind, but if that was the case, it seems other plants would be doing this.

Do you know what the problem might be? Should I be worried? This is my one and only beefsteak, and I want it to be great since I planted it for my wife.

Thanks.
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
Hi folks,

Newbie here: I've got six seedlings/transplants in the ground and they are thriving, but my Cherokee Purple has just started to show some leaf curl in the past few days. About 10% of the small plant, just less than 12" high, is curling. I should point out that I have had to pinch off a few flowers which wanted to come in way too early.

None of the other plants are having leaf curl, though all plants have the same soil, amounts of water, weather conditions, etc. I've read that it may be related to either too much or too little water, or too much heat or wind, but if that was the case, it seems other plants would be doing this.

Do you know what the problem might be? Should I be worried? This is my one and only beefsteak, and I want it to be great since I planted it for my wife.

Thanks.
Do you have a picture or two that you could share with us,since there are many reasons why leaf curl appears. Such as aphids,unbalanced growth, which can be variety specific,and more.

Carolyn
Old April 9, 2018   #3
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yes, pics would help. I found that stress, like too much heat or sun, will make plants curl a bit as a defense.
Old April 9, 2018   #4
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Hi all. I'll get some pictures for you and post them. Thanks.
Old April 12, 2018   #5
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Friends,

I've not been able to figure out how to upload pictures from my phone, but for now I think my "crisis" is over. It's just been a few leaves curling and no more, and from all I've read on this very helpful site and others, it's probably due to foliage outgrowing the root system for now, a temporary and not critical issue, and perhaps specific to Cherokee Purple.

Thanks. I'm like a new parent to freaks out if his baby so much as hiccups!
Old April 12, 2018   #6
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Friends,

I've not been able to figure out how to upload pictures from my phone, but for now I think my "crisis" is over. It's just been a few leaves curling and no more, and from all I've read on this very helpful site and others, it's probably due to foliage outgrowing the root system for now, a temporary and not critical issue, and perhaps specific to Cherokee Purple.

You can download an app called Tapatalk and you can access/login to Tville through there, which makes photo uploads much easier.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #7
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomat0 View Post
You can download an app called Tapatalk and you can access/login to Tville through there, which makes photo uploads much easier.
I'll check that out. Thank you.
Old April 12, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Friends,

No, it is not specific to Cherokee Purple at all.In one of the posts in this thread I mentioned several other reasons for leaf curl.

I was one of the first to be sent CP by Craig L, and when I was sent Indian Stripe,from Donna Nelson, to Craig,he agreed with me that IS is a version of CP and if you go to Tania's website you'll see the same thing and if you do a search here at Tville,there are many many other threads about this.

I hope the above helps,

Carolyn