Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2018   #3211
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Brock they don't sound like the whiteflies I have seen, mine always flew well. Google whitefly photos to help identify them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #3212
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

They've got to be some type of whitefly. They're just so stinkin small, you wouldn't be able to see them unless they were bright white.

In other news, I was pollinating watermelon flowers today and saw these beasties under a leaf. No clue what they are, they never moved. Might have been dead already, but there were eggs next to them. Didn't see any on any other leaves of that plant, or any other plants. My guess would be some sort of aphid but not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3227.jpg (136.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3225.jpg (328.8 KB, 73 views)
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #3213
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
They've got to be some type of whitefly. They're just so stinkin small, you wouldn't be able to see them unless they were bright white.

In other news, I was pollinating watermelon flowers today and saw these beasties under a leaf. No clue what they are, they never moved. Might have been dead already, but there were eggs next to them. Didn't see any on any other leaves of that plant, or any other plants. My guess would be some sort of aphid but not sure.
Aphids for sure.
Old April 22, 2018   #3214
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Aphids for sure.
On that same leaf I forgot to mention there were a group of "black" aphids that were also lifeless. I was just reading that black aphids are ones that have been parasitized. Any idea what would have done that? I've seen quite a few tiny wasps flying around, could they be braconids?
Old April 22, 2018   #3215
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Time to fight back with a time tested proven methodLADYBUGS.Thats how ginger and I met over this same discussion.Those littlebuggerswill find lay eggs next to those little beasties.They cost as much as that bottled control method.Emphasize on “ control”.Never eradicate.Dispatch.Amazon will have them,remove the stickies for the time of those bugs are there.They the bugs do not forage they stay at food then move.The baby’s look like mini alligators,they will move after hatching.They store in your fridge,hibernate until you wake them up.
Old April 22, 2018   #3216
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Time to fight back with a time tested proven methodLADYBUGS.Thats how ginger and I met over this same discussion.Those littlebuggerswill find lay eggs next to those little beasties.They cost as much as that bottled control method.Emphasize on “ control”.Never eradicate.Dispatch.Amazon will have them,remove the stickies for the time of those bugs are there.They the bugs do not forage they stay at food then move.The baby’s look like mini alligators,they will move after hatching.They store in your fridge,hibernate until you wake them up.
Kurt, if I put a mosquito net "cage" over my plants will that help keep the ladybugs around long enough to eat all the pests? I don't wanna buy them and have them take off right away. I would
Like to release a ton into my landscaping with hopes that they'd take up residence in the bushes. I worry about my perimeter foundation pest control treatments killing good stuff though. Palmetto bugs and spiders in the house don't bother me, but I don't want termites to move in. I actually let a few geckos go in the house to eat flies and other bugs. I see the ones I let in 6 months ago from time to time on the living room wall.
Old April 30, 2018   #3217
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

So I had a few determinate BHN-602 plants in buckets that are on their way out after producing a ton of fruit this year. I set them aside to pull when I got time this week, but this evening I went over to check if any of the remaining green tomatoes had blushed and found the leaves pictured below. What might that be? Possible the russet mites that were mentioned in this thread a few weeks ago? That variety is resistant to TSWV, F1,2,3, and V. Those buckets are also planted in the nature's care soil that was infested with spider mites. Was never able to get them under control, but I've not seen any red bugs on the leaves. I've been seeing lots of thrips on my sticky cards the last few days, so not sure what else it could be. Those plants took a beating this year with wind and sun exposure, im really surprised they produced as heavy as they did. I'm getting rid of the plants tomorrow, but am curious for disease ID in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3282.jpg (283.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3283.jpg (324.0 KB, 48 views)
Old April 30, 2018   #3218
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Nutrient deficiency. Interveinal chlorosis, get some soluble micronutrients. This is usually a magnesium deficit.
Old April 30, 2018   #3219
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Would Epson Salts work? I'm not trying to compete with you (Marsha). I know you have a lot more knowledge about growing tomatoes than I do.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #3220
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nutrient deficiency. Interveinal chlorosis, get some soluble micronutrients. This is usually a magnesium deficit.
That's wild, I've put so much cal-mag in there that I thought for sure I was overdoing it. Maybe just more Epsom salts and less calmag?
Old May 1, 2018   #3221
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Brock-I would go with a good full spectrum micros fert. Reason is sometimes when you increase too much of one fert, it throws another out of balance.This way you are covered. Yes, epsom salt alone might just help, but could throw the balance off for other micronutrients.
Larry, it isn't my official job to be the diagnoser, we all contribute to this community, and you have a great deal of respectable knowledge my friend. I do not feel that a helpful constructive comment like yours is in competition with me.

Brock, I haven't used cal-mag, but I use 1 teaspoon of calcium nitrate, with 1/3 teaspoon of epsom salt, mixed into 3 gallons water.(Basically, I just throw the dry measures down the Earthbox tube.)
Old May 1, 2018   #3222
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Brock, read this page. AKMark, our maybe best grower, uses this product in this way. I don't use the 4-18-38, because I use the Tomato Tone strip, but you can see how much to use of the calcium nitrate and Epsom salts.
https://hydro-gardens.com/product/to...s-bag-4-18-38/

Brock, read this thread with photos by AKMark too. He also sends a tissue sample once per week to the Hydrogardens folks to make sure his plants get enouh nutrients.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...839#post697839
Old May 1, 2018   #3223
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Brock-I would go with a good full spectrum micros fert. Reason is sometimes when you increase too much of one fert, it throws another out of balance.This way you are covered. Yes, epsom salt alone might just help, but could throw the balance off for other micronutrients.
Larry, it isn't my official job to be the diagnoser, we all contribute to this community, and you have a great deal of respectable knowledge my friend. I do not feel that a helpful constructive comment like yours is in competition with me.

Brock, I haven't used cal-mag, but I use 1 teaspoon of calcium nitrate, with 1/3 teaspoon of epsom salt, mixed into 3 gallons water.(Basically, I just throw the dry measures down the Earthbox tube.)
Your instructions for Epsom salt and calcinit is what I do for my earthboxes, but I've had to water from above for those buckets. I've fertilized the buckets every few weeks with tomatotone, following the package instructions. In addition to scratching in the tt, I've watered once a week with the 1-0-0 calmag mixed into a gallon of water. That product is 5% Ca and 1% Mg, made from calcium carbonate and magnesium nitrate. I've not had any problems with my other bucket plants following the same regimen. Those are my only determinates though, so I don't know how they start to look at the end of their life cycle.
Old May 1, 2018   #3224
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What I do is 33%, what you have in the calmag is 20% epsom salt. But your choice,your plants. I am just trying to be helpful. Determinates just get leaves dying off, no new leafs or growth after they finish fruiting (but might get s new shoot from the base). They do not get interveinal chlorosis. That's a nutrient deficiency.
Edited because yours isn't MgSo4.
Old May 1, 2018   #3225
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What I do is 33%, what you have in the calmag is 20% epsom salt. But your choice,your plants. I am just trying to be helpful. Determinates just get leaves dying off, no new leafs or growth after they finish fruiting (but might get s new shoot from the base). They do not get interveinal chlorosis. That's a nutrient deficiency.
No I'll absolutely take your advice, that's why I asked. I just figured a product that's supposed to be a magnesium supplement would be adequate but I guess I'll just dig under the bathroom sink for the cheap stuff and be in better shape. Thanks for the advice.