Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 22, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default new pest spotted in area

http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/sto...O/Sep1707a.htm
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is another link.
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/orn/mealybug/mealybug.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Mealybugs are horrible pests to have. Very hard to get rid of.

I've never had problems with them on vegetables, but I used to really be into collecting coleus. I'd take cuttings in the fall, and overwinter them inside for planting out next year. At one time, I had close to 75 different varieties. They love coleus, and will just suck the life out of them. They can be treated to some extent with soap sprays or neem oil, but it has to be done again and again.

I just got tired of messing with it, so pretty much gave up. I grow/grew other things besides coleus, and just did not want to expend the time required for constantly treating and monitoring for them. Mealybugs can be effectively dealt with using periodic treatments of a systemic like Orthonex, but that wouldn't be practical or safe, as I overwintered plants inside, and could not take the chance one of my cats would munch on one and get sick. Besides, who wants to have plants in the garden that need to treated with systemics to succeed? I don't.

Another plant I used to like to grow and eventually gave up on because of mealybugs is Fatsia Japonica. It can really be an outstanding part-sun evergreen shrub alternative in a warm climate once established, with a nice "tropical" look.

Other plants I've grown in the past that mealybugs seemed to love include hibiscus, hollyhocks, begonias, and impatiens. Oh, and also Persian Shield, which is just lovely.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote