Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 3, 2008   #1
Joz
Tomatovillian™

Default mites, TMV, and unripe tomatoes

I have a container in which resides an Early Girl tomato plant that overwintered from last year (I had a bunch of tomatoes nearly ripe last November, and then it froze... the plant died almost completely away, but then sprouted in late December).

It's been assaulted by mites, which I've been controlling (sorta) with forceful hose water. I think I'm seeing some evidence of TMV (leaves mottled with yellow in the visible "cells", starting from the center and working outward), and the plant has stopped growing noticeably (while it's next-pot neighbor has doubled it's size in 6 weeks). This plant is sporting almost a dozen fist sized green tomatoes.

I've got other tomatoes in pots, and a cuke in the next door pot, so I don't want to threaten my other plants. As an Early Girl, it's not a tomato that I'm dead set on keeping. However, I'm reluctant to pull a plant with so much fat green fruit.

If I cut the fruiting limbs off, will they ripen? They've been on the plant for a couple months, with no evidence of pinkness. Should I just sacrifice them all as an example of bad behavior?

With the mite issue at hand, can I afford to just pull the affected leaves/branches? For some reason, the mites are only finding this one plant tasty, and haven't reached out to the Creole Tomato next-pot over, or the cuke. On the other end of the balcony, the mites are all over the sage, tarragon, and catnip.

So, what can I do with a small pile of unripe tomatoes? Green tomato recipes do call for unripe, not green-variety tomatoes, right?
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #2
tessa
Tomatovillian™

yes...fried green tomatoes is an excellent solution.
green, as in unripened red tomatoes.
slice. pan fry with butter and garlic.
nice!
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote