Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old December 28, 2014   #1
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Default 2015 MAYTAG

Hi Folks... any chance of a tomato tasting this Summer?

I know it takes some work, but am willing to help!

-Jimmy
Old January 3, 2015   #2
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to meet up, too. I just have to work around 2 graduations and a 25th wedding anniversary.
Old January 26, 2015   #3
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I would be interested also in a 2015 MAGTAG. Late summer works best for me. Thanks

-crazyoldgooseman
Old February 7, 2015   #4
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

It looks like previous events had about 30-ish folks attending. It also looks like the MagTag coordinator hasn't been on the forum since last May, and I hope all is well with her!

I'd be willing to find a site in York, PA if folks are interested. My church has a huge kitchen (commercial sized) and very large common area. They also have a very nice outside garden path if outdoors is preferred. I'm not sure what the rental fee would be, but I can check on it. I would probably have to host this the last weekend of August or first one in September--sending my son off to college year, and I suspect that'll be mid-August or mid-September depending on the school.
We could organize a pot-luck feast, a tomato tasting, and perhaps a seed trade without too much trouble. How does that sound?
Old February 8, 2015   #5
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested... I might be able to hunt down some Middleswarth Potato Chips while I'm up there!

-Jimmy
Old February 19, 2015   #6
hank
Tomatovillian™

I would very much like for it to happen. York, Pa seems to have many t'villans
around. Hank
Old March 6, 2015   #7
gardener
Tomatovillian™

I am also interested. I always enjoyed the ones in Baltimore.
Old March 7, 2015   #8
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the DC area (Alexandria VA to be exact) and am interested too!
Jen
Old March 24, 2015   #9
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I am not against doing at our B-More site this year in the pavillion if Cecelia is on board. Last year was a bit tough because I was between jobs. It may have to have a later date then usual because of the cold weather this year.

Also, its not that much trouble at the pavilion in B-More. Beer is legal there and everyone just brings some food to share and tomatoes for tasting from their garden. We put out a jar on the one of the table and ask for donations to recoop the $100 for the pavilion. The park folks take away the trash (after we bag it). We have considered doing at a house but then you need to bring tables and chairs and some one is left with a mess. The pavilion is really easy when you consider and it has shade.

Part of why we stopped is because folks weren't bringing tomatoes. You can't have a tomato tasting without tomatoes. It doesn't take much really. If you grow some just bring enough for each variety for the tasting. We set out paper plates and put your name on the bottom and the type of tomato on the rim and your tomatoe varaity on the plate. There is a plastic cup with the name of your tomato next to the plate. We have loose pennies availabe. If you like the tomato you put in 0 to 3 pennies (0 hate, 3 love). At the end we weight the cups and see whose is the heaviest.

If folks are in for bringing tomatoes then I will set it up.

Last edited by gflynn; March 24, 2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old March 24, 2015   #10
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

count me in!

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
Old March 24, 2015   #11
hank
Tomatovillian™

I'm having good feelings about this. Late is good. Tomato ripening for me has been a problem. Great to hear from some of the old MAYTAG people. Hank and Cheryll
Old March 25, 2015   #12
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

I'd be good with later, too. We had snow flurries just yesterday morning here in York, if you can believe it. It's definitely a late spring here in southern PA.

I did forget about the fact that our church is dry!
If Cecilia isn't able to head this up, I will be happy to find a site in York county at a park pavilion, school, or not-so-dry church site. I've run a few large events and our annual church picnic back in WI, so it's old hat for me to put something like this together.

And yes, bringing a tomato you grew (or even picked up at a local farm stand) should be an entrance requirement.
Old March 30, 2015   #13
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I'm in also and can bring tomatoes. August or later is best for me. Sounds like Cecelia said we can go on without her.

-crazyoldgooseman
Old March 30, 2015   #14
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

Just to clarify, I think bringing any kind of tomato, whether you grow it yourself or not, is fine, as long as there's a tomato to taste!

How about a seed exchange?
Old April 21, 2015   #15
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I would be more than happy to sponsor the $100.00 cost of the pavilion if there's enough interest to hold the MAGTAG event this year. This way, you can all focus on getting folks to bring enough tomatoes to taste and evaluate. I had a fantastic time at Tomatopalooza™ when I attended and these gatherings are a great way to meet fellow Tomatovillians!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.