Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2018   #16
hazeldazel
Tomatovillian™

Oh and these are trimmed to a single stem and trellised with a string and tomato clips. They are outside in my backyard.
hazeldazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #17
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I had 10-15-20 gallon grow bags alll in the same year. Used up whatever I had. Since I don't fill to the rim, they were not actually in quite that much potting mix. I had tomatoes from all of them, but notiiced a big difference in BER and production. I only did hand watering and fertilizing. I could not keep up with keeping them evenly moist enough in the smaller containers and I am sure that had a lot to do with the BER. Some that were supposed to have larger tomatoes had smaller ones. Everything seemed to be better the larger the container. The exception was a couple of plants that don't tend to get very large anyway, Azoychka, and Sophies Choice. They did fine in the 10 gallon. Plants that get REALLY large, which for me is usually KB and Brandywine, really needed the 20 gallon. That is a lot of potting soil, though.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #18
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I've never understood why the container manufacturers put holes in the bottom of all them. Seems like a lot of people would want the holes up 2-3-4 inches so it would hold some water rather than flushing it all out every time people watered.

20 gallon seems to be the largest so far. I don't think anyone has mentioned a 25-30 or larger size yet.

This seems odd, but the math is correct. If I were to build some wooden containers out of some 2 x 12 x 12 that I already have:

A 18 x 18 x 22 tall (the approximate height of two 2 x 12 lumber stacked) = 7,128 divided by 231 cubic inches in a gallon = 30.85.

However, a 24 x 24 x 22 = 12,672 divided by 231 = 54.85.

By just adding 6 inches to each side, you almost double the capacity.