Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 24, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizing Corn

Bed where the corn is planted was amended with compost and cow manure, plus I mixed in some plant tone before planting. Since then all I have fertilized with is fish emulsion and seaweed. Plants are around 3ft tall at this point. Is the fish emulsion enough or should I supplement with something else?
Old April 25, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I have the same question. I do have a bag of blood meal 9-0-0.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2009   #3
red

duajones, I am hoping someone who has experience chimes in here...I think many folks are leaning toward organic growing but I can't imagine what you would use for corn. I have very sandy soil and grow great corn...got 5 varieties going, but I use 34-0-0 or 15.5-0-0 at least 2 applications of commercial fert. The corn absolutely "loves" nitrogen. I am guessing poultry manure would be great?? Hope some of the organic growers can offer pointers here....

Steve
Old April 26, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have read that Corn loves nitrogen as well.
Old April 26, 2009   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

side dressing for corn

Quote:
Side-dressing

The more you feed corn, the more it will feed you, so side-dressing (a second dose of fertilizer that boosts growth) is a must with corn.

You can use any high-nitrogen fertilizer to side-dress corn, because nitrogen is the plant nutrient needed. A commercial fertilizer such as 10-10-10 works well, but you can also use well-composted or dehydrated manure, or commercial organic fertilizers like cottonseed meal.

Side-dress corn twice: when it's knee high and when it tassels. To side-dress, sprinkle a thin line of fertilizer or manure about four inches from the plants on both sides of each row of corn. To side-dress hill-planted corn, simply sprinkle fertilizer around each hill, about four inches away from the cornstalks. It often helps to make a shallow furrow first for either rows or hills. The furrow serves as a guide and the indentation helps the fertilizer stay put.

If you side-dress shortly before it rains, you're lucky. Otherwise, you should water, so the fertilizer leaches into the soil where it can be taken up by the corn roots.
~* Robin
Old April 26, 2009   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and did a light side dress with 21-0-0 since I had some here for my citrus tree
Old April 30, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My plants are reacting to the 21-0-0 application like it was rocket fuel. I have the beginnings of little corn on most of the plants now
Old May 8, 2009   #8
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Duane.......I suppose this thread just answered the question I asked in your other "corn" thread......It is time to add more "rocket fuel"......
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote