Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 8, 2006   #1
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics: First time growing Brandywine.

It's been a lot of fun, frustration, and an overall learning experience growing my first Brandywine. I wanted to share some pictures.

Here's how it started out, barely larger than a pea:

Then about a month later, it met its fate:

But before the senseless (and delicious) slaughter, it looked like this, peaceful and unaware of what was soon to happen:

FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

FlipTX,

Welcome to TomatoVille.

I can personally attest to the fantastic taste of fliptx's Brandywines. She very graciously (and generously) gave me 2.

Now I'm stuck on which is my favorite -- Cherokee Purple, Brandywine pink, or Black Krim.

It's hard to tell exactly which Brandywine these are since she and I both bought from a nursery that had those ubiquitous "Chef Jeff's" tags which don't mention variety. Out of 2 plants (which were set out simply too late for Houston), I've got one 2" fruit coming along nice and slow. The CP has 5 fruit coming along as well, although one of them is on a stem that inexplicably bent and I've propped up with string. They're all about golf ball sized.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #3
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the welcome, Feldon! It's frustrating not knowing exactly what kind of Brandywines we have. There's no way of knowing whether Chef Jeff's would offer the same cultivar next year or just some other mysteriously-labeled Brandywine. But I guess I can save some seeds from my own, right?

If this second batch of fruit turns out well, I'll be sure to save you another.
Old June 8, 2006   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds for both Sudduth's and OTV and will probably save seeds from your 2nd Brandywine.

You're really too generous but I don't think I can accept half your crop!

I hope you're going to grow it next year. I know you've got a small garden, but you've got some magic going on there.

I've been trying to decide if it's worth shipping some tomatoes that are 3-4 days from being ripe to my dad in Michigan by 2-day or 3-day FedEx as a Father's Day gift.
Old June 8, 2006   #5
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Fliptx. Glad to see you here.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #6
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're really too generous but I don't think I can accept half your crop!
Really, I'm happy to share. I'm really the only one who eats these things! Only one other person in my family likes tomatoes but found the Brandywine too flavorful. (I know, it doesn't make sense to me, either.) And my friends and neighbors are put off by the cosmetic imperfections.

I'll save seeds and maybe try growing it in the front garden. Now that I know so many people are put off by the sight of large, lumpy tomatoes, maybe I won't have to worry about passersby making off with the crop!
Quote:
Welcome Fliptx. Glad to see you here.
Thanks, Reign!
Old June 8, 2006   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I still laugh when I think about the guy on GardenWeb who went out of town and had a neighbor take care of his garden. The helpful neighbor threw away all the purple tomatoes thinking they were rotten. I would have had murder in my eyes.
Old June 16, 2006   #8
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing Brandywine(free from Baker Creek). They are tall with few leaves and no blossoms. I am not impressed with them but believe it is because they are planted in the new raised bed and I just don't have it deep enough or the soil good enough yet. Yours looks great!