Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 29, 2016   #46
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine,
have you tried to use tater pot?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 29, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #47
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

http://sonja-joe.blogspot.com.by/201...otato-pot.html
It should definately saves space and bears you a potato harvest during the whole season if you choose midseason or late season varieties

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 29, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old March 29, 2016   #48
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Andrey, no I haven't, my pots are much bigger than that. Oh I am going seed shopping Tomorrow Tuesday not today I forgot it was Easter Monday.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #49
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, your cabbage is beautiful. I love the colors of it.
Old April 8, 2016   #50
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, I am curious , how many seed potatoes do you put in that pot. I am thinking of keeping my huge ones for something else and using a smaller one for potatoes. I have a great many 5 gallon buckets made up as Global buckets for self watering. I didn't use them last year but am wondering about using them this year.

XX Jeannine
Old April 9, 2016   #51
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, personally I'm not using tater pots, because we used an extra area for growing potatoes outside our dacha's garden and also because they don't sell such a tool here)))
So I get all the tubers right from the ground. There is one local poptato variety which is about 0,7-1kg per 1 tuber
They are not as tasty as some local Belarusian varieties with small tubers, but it is a very productive indeed. 15-20 kg from one bush...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old April 9, 2016   #52
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Hi again, Backyard Farm, I haven't tried the radishes cooked. I do eat a few radishes as long as they are right from the garden but I will try the cooked ones too.

Some of the squash you mentioned I know ell, I was a squash collector for many years. I grew the jack be Little and his sister the white one scrambling over a fence, they looked very pretty. Gold Nugget is an old favourite, it still kaes a decent sized bush but not a vine and very productive. I shall be growing 1 winter squash as I want to keep my seeds going but I am going to trail it down the side of the lawn. It is Mayoral Blue. I gave seeds to Tania a few years ago and I think she sells it now. Very rare. The info I gave Tania with the seeds is on her site.

Now I just have to find a home for all my veggie stash that isn't miniature LOL

XX Jeannine
Grilled radishes are one of my favorites. Try them with tacos.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #53
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Where did you get your perennial cauliflower and kale?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #54
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, thank you for that information.That potato sound great, it is a pity we can't trade tubers as well as seeds LOL. I miss one from the UK which I can't get here, it is called Charlotte. I am growing Russian Banana,Sieglinde,French Fingerling and a Russet.

Tracydr, my perennial cauliflower is called Nine Star Perennial, it is a commercial variety but was very hard to find the last time I go the seeds sent from the UK. I sowed what was left this year but have only got 2 seedlings up. The Daubenton Kale seeds came fro the Heritage Seed Library in the UK, (they don't ship overseas)again I had very few seeds but I have managed to get about 7 to pop. I should tell you a bit about Daubenton. It is a French veggie which rarely flowers so seeds are almost impossible to get. It is usually propagated by cuttings and folks in the UK share the plants. I am frankly not expecting the plants I have grown from seed to be true but we will see. It comes green and a variegated one, There are a few perennial cabbage/kales. I also have one called Eeuwig Moes, which does grow from a seed, that seed was sent to me from a friend Holland. There is another one called Delaway which I also got from the Heriatage Seed Library , Irish Seed Savers have it by the way,but it is questionable that this one is perennial. They now ship overseas.

Before I moved to where I am now I had a community garden and I had a very large raised bed devoted to Perennial veggies, all of the above plus, perennial leeks, various types of onions and a few other. things. My aim is to try to reestablish it in one bed here. Very fascinating.

XX Jeannine
Old April 10, 2016   #55
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Grilled radishes? That sounds good-how do you make them? Just brush with oil? I love radish sandwiches, sliced radishes on buttered whole grain bread and lightly salted.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #56
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Til I saw the request on another post, I had forgotten all about them, but I have some Baby Bok Choy seeds Jeannine Anne if you would like some. They don't get very big at all.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #57
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, thank you so much for the offer but I have a baby one called Toy Choi I think and am going with that one but I truly do appreciate you offering to help me it is very kind.

XX Jeannine
Old April 12, 2016   #58
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I am sooooo curious about the perennial cauliflower!!!
Old April 12, 2016   #59
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I would love to help you with that but as I said I sowed all my seeds which were old and I got 1 plant, there seems to be another one trying but I think it is losing the battle.

It is a bit like the white Sprouting Broccolis, but if you pick the shoots before they flower you can keep the plant going for several years. I am going to try to find more and if I do I will let you know.

Meantime you can grow the white sprouting broc. I grow several sprouting brocs every year and I am hoping to find enough space to do so this year too. I have a range of them which harvest from July onwards right through May, most are purple but I have a couple of white ones

Some of the varieties are Red Spear,Summer Purple,Santee,Late Purple, Rudolph,Redhead,White Star and White Eye.

I need to look for fresh ones so I will let you know what I find but meanwhile I think these will sprout one more year, they are 2012 seeds. I can send you a few of what I have left if you would like them. I am out od some but do have Santee, White Eye, Redhead all of them mature Feb thru April.

I don't know what your weather is Luigi so you decide. If you need to look it up it is called Sprouting Broccoli.

XX Jeannine
Old April 13, 2016   #60
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Nine Star Perennial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nine star.jpg (423.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg perennial9star1.jpg (526.8 KB, 38 views)