Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 28, 2012   #31
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Lemon or lime basil. Their flavors don't overwhelm me like the Italian.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #32
Lindseyleh
Tomatovillian™

I love the Genovese basil! I really like the ruffled varieties because they are pretty. I grew a ton of purple basil and it is very good, tender leaves and looks amazing with yellow tomatoes!
Lindseyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #33
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyleh View Post
I love the Genovese basil! I really like the ruffled varieties because they are pretty. I grew a ton of purple basil and it is very good, tender leaves and looks amazing with yellow tomatoes!
Lindsey

I am leaning toward genovese basil as of late. I like a nice strong basil for pesto.
mmmm mmmm
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #34
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

The Genovese is great in pesto but not so good dried imo, so we just grow plain old Italian. Basil.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #35
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Question for the basil experts: I have a spicy globe basil plant next to two very lush and full sweet basil plants. It kind of looks like the globe basil isn't growing, and I know it's supposed to be dense and compact like that, but is it waiting to be cut back a bit? I've cut back the sweet basil, been pinching it off, and used enough leaves to make a bit of pesto, and it just keeps coming. The other looks a bit daunted between those and a varigated sage.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #36
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I can't say for sure on fancy types that may even be unrelated species, but in general terms for companion planting, you plant sage and Rosemary together with Tomatoes.

Basil goes with Oregano and near peppers.

Now Basil also works with Tomatoes, but not Rosemary. So that's why I pair them up the way I do.

As far as I know spicy globe basil is basically a cultivar of sweet basil but just more compact, so it should be companion planted the same.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #37
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking I would love more info on the pairings... And there you are!

The three basics are closest to my Sweet 100, then there is a small oregano, the variegated sage, and rosemary on the end. Rosemary is closest to my Better Boys. It is a pretty small rosemary at this point. Is there a problem with it in terms of what it attracts or different needs?

I seeded some carrots in front of the basil. If they are coming up they are too microscopic to see yet. I did some in a taller box, too, and see some little first leaves. I am starting a box of basil from seed, too. I think I bought the seed two years ago and never touched it. I will probably buy another long tall box for a bit of leaf lettuce.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
I was just thinking I would love more info on the pairings... And there you are!

The three basics are closest to my Sweet 100, then there is a small oregano, the variegated sage, and rosemary on the end. Rosemary is closest to my Better Boys. It is a pretty small rosemary at this point. Is there a problem with it in terms of what it attracts or different needs?

I seeded some carrots in front of the basil. If they are coming up they are too microscopic to see yet. I did some in a taller box, too, and see some little first leaves. I am starting a box of basil from seed, too. I think I bought the seed two years ago and never touched it. I will probably buy another long tall box for a bit of leaf lettuce.

It is my experience that when I lived in Florida, Rosemary will start slow and grow and grow and grow for years until it becomes a bush. The only thing is to keep Rosemary and Basil apart.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #39
kurt
Tomatovillian™

As mentioned the Greek Columnar grows tall and almost no bolt and lasts a long time.Camphor basil and a type of basil called Fever plant.After growing all the basils I could find settled on these and some of the regulars.Companion Plants is where I found these.I love the aromatics that are tall(up to 5 ft.)and last a long time here in Fla.
Old October 16, 2012   #40
JoParrott

Basils are all great, but if you don't want to pick off flowers constantly, Greek Columnar is the best-intense flavor and good shape and size.
Old October 16, 2012   #41
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

swamper, How do you use your Thai basil? Care to share some recipes?

I love it and have found it great in my tomato sauces for pasta.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #42
nicky
Tomatovillian™

After posting in this thread in January I decided to do a little Basil trial this year. I managed to find seed for:

Anise, Blue Spice, Cardinal, Cinnamon. Genovese, Holy,Lettuce Leaf
Lime, Mrs.Burns Lemon, Opal , Purple Ruffles, Red Rubin, Serrata, Siam Queen

I seeded them in 2 lots - a couple of weeks apart so that I would have a bit of time to taste test & photograph, but best intentions didn't work & I only managed to review half.

http://nickysgarden.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/basils/

This bunch had my 2 favourite of the year - Serata & Lime. The Lime was fabulous with seafood of any kind. Salmon in Lime Basil Cream Sauce with Roasted Eggplant was one of our favourite dishes of the summer. The Serata was SO thick & tasty. Excellent classic basil taste.

Truthfully, I loved em' all

Anyone know how easy basil seed crosses? I moved their pots around when they started flowering to try to keep them apart - but I'm not sure that I caught them in time.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #43
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

While I normally stay away from Burpee and the like, Christmas was the first truly unique basil that I have grown in a while. I was blown away by a couple of them(still quite variable in scent) with a very unique candy flavor. Beyond that, cinnamon, lime, and Mrs Burns lemon are all great. Old fashioned genovese is hard to beat for pesto.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #44
dirt dauber
Tomatovillian™

I like greek columnar as it seemed slow to go to seed as compared to my other basils last year. Seems to be one very though plant in heat and drought. I also like it's flavor. It is a great center plant as it grows straight up. My favorite for scent is cinnamon basil (more clove like to me). Lime basil is another great one for scent or culinary use.
dirt dauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #45
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Burpees sells Christmas Basil and Cardinal Basil. I have no idea what they are like, but I bought some of each to put in my garden this year.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote